ESP32 vs. Nano ESP32S3

Ridilen

ESP32 vs. Nano ESP32S3

Postby Ridilen » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:30 pm

Good day,

I am a novice programmer so please bare with me if these seem to be basic question.

Is there any difference in the programming commands/structure between the ESP32 chips?
In particular I started with Freenove ESP32 Dev Kit and I want to change to Nano ESP32S3.

I have a sketch that the Freenove runs dedicating tasks to cores, it took some fiddling but works fine. When I loaded this on the Nano ESP32, it crashed. And crashed hard.

I notice a difference in example on how to setup dual cores.

TaskHandle_T vs. #define CORE_0 0.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Darren

liaifat85

Re: ESP32 vs. Nano ESP32S3

Postby liaifat85 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:57 pm

Use debugging tools provided by the ESP32-C3 development environment to inspect the BLE advertisement packet contents. This can help identify any discrepancies or issues with the packet format. Also, make sure that you are using the latest firmware for the ESP32-C3. Sometimes, firmware updates can resolve issues with BLE functionality and packet broadcasting.
If you ever want to make an ESP32-S3 board by yourself, you can follow this design: https://www.pcbway.com/project/sharepro ... 84476.html

lbernstone

Re: ESP32 vs. Nano ESP32S3

Postby lbernstone » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:51 pm

Nobody is going to be able to magically guess what is causing problems in your code.
FreeRTOS, and the task definitions in the OS, is fundamentally the same in ESP32 and ESP32-S3. These are different cpus with different peripheral layouts, so what happens in those tasks can be very different.
You can decode exceptions in Arduino IDE with the exceptionDecoder. This will show you what line/function is causing a core panic.
What you posted as a "difference" is an object type (which ultimately is just a pointer), and a macro definition that sets CORE_0 to 0.