Third party IDF components list

ESP_Angus

Third party IDF components list

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:58 am

More and more people are writing new components for IDF, which is great! It makes it easy to share functionality and to combine functionality between projects.

We'd like to maintain a list of third party ESP-IDF components as part of the IDF itself, so that it's easy for people to find these.

To get us started on the list, please post in this thread and let us know - what components are out there published online?

Angus

ESP_Sprite

Re: Third party IDF components list

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:03 am

As Rudi pointed out: there's a CAN driver here: https://github.com/ThomasBarth/ESP32-CAN-Driver

kolban

Postby kolban » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:15 pm

I'd like to offer up a suggestion.

I'm a big fan of "pulling resources" in a common community mechanism and unless there are dramatic distinctions from one option to another, I recommend and follow the majority.

Which takes us to the subject at hand ... repositories of ready to use libraries. The Arduino environment obviously has one, Node has npm and Python has pip. I seem to see a burgeoning notion of a common repository for IoT/Embedded libraries being formed here ...

http://platformio.org/

Now ... I personally haven't studied this project but I plan to. On paper it sounds ideal!!!

Might we as a community not choose to back/support/utilize an existing framework such as this one? This seems to provide both a catalog and distribution mechanism for finding and using libraries.

Neil
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 pm

kolban wrote:Might we as a community not choose to back/support/utilize an existing framework such as this one?
This is more or less our long term plan, to have a package management system of some kind. It will need to be IDF-specific in some ways, but we want to leverage existing tools as much as possible.

The plan is to do this in stages: start with a simple list, and work towards a list where the third party components are easy to drop into a project components directory (ie have a component.mk file, config, etc). Then use what we learn from that process to inform the final design of a package manager that automates the step of downloading a new component into a project.

Angus

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:58 pm

ESP_Angus wrote:
kolban wrote:Might we as a community not choose to back/support/utilize an existing framework such as this one?
This is more or less our long term plan, to have a package management system of some kind. It will need to be IDF-specific in some ways, but we want to leverage existing tools as much as possible.

The plan is to do this in stages: start with a simple list, and work towards a list where the third party components are easy to drop into a project components directory (ie have a component.mk file, config, etc). Then use what we learn from that process to inform the final design of a package manager that automates the step of downloading a new component into a project.

Angus
thats sound is great Angus.
CAN compo comes exactly like you desribed as third party next days - i wait only for thomas come back from be away - he is on the road :D
ESPCAN Driver package

components/ESPCAN
components/ESPCAN -> readme
components/ESPCAN -> component.mk
components/ESPCAN -> can.c
components/ESPCAN -> kconfig
components/ESPCAN/include
components/ESPCAN/include -> can.h
components/ESPCAN/include -> can_config.h
components/ESPCAN/include -> can_regdef.h

ESPCAN Demo package

examples/ESPCAN/nodeunit
examples/ESPCAN/nodeunit-> Makefile
examples/ESPCAN/nodeunit/unit
examples/ESPCAN/nodeunit/unit -> unit.c
examples/ESPCAN/nodeunit/unit -> component.mk

examples/ESPCAN/controllunit
examples/ESPCAN/controllunit -> Makefile
examples/ESPCAN/controllunit/cunit
examples/ESPCAN/controllunit/cunit -> cunit.c
examples/ESPCAN/controllunit/cunit -> component.mk
and yes, description for wiring, pic and so on too.

btw:
work same component principal in our opensource ESP32 IDE for teach
and yes - its fully ESP-IDF guidline strategie and compatible. its a flowcharter IDE thats generate the code from flowcharts..
but this is an other theme

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:57 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:As Rudi pointed out: there's a CAN driver here: https://github.com/ThomasBarth/ESP32-CAN-Driver
preview work on ESP32-CAN-Driver as component and menuconfig is here

best wishes
rudi ;-)
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

jhubbardsf

Postby jhubbardsf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm

I know this is an old thread but it's the first that pops up on google. Has anyone found a good package manager for ESP? I'm wondering if it'd be good (at least for my team) to have a package manager for faster dev. I was looking at conan (C/C++ package manager) and thinking I could use that to create packages out of commonly used components. Has anyone done something like this or have any recommendations?