What ESP32-S3 brings and what we can talk about ESP32-S3 and few (new ) feat.

rudi ;-)

What ESP32-S3 brings and what we can talk about ESP32-S3 and few (new ) feat.

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:21 pm

hi folks

near 5 year's ago i did the same post in this forum for the ESP32, it was my first post, 13 Nov 2015 - the first day on start ESP32.COM
and John Lee did answer us few question. few other infos was spread in this time window outside the forum and I was angry about it :)

today and as five years ago, nothing has changed today. you read and hear more infos outside of this ESP forum. amazing where some people get the infos. one knows engineer from espressif, the other has friends in the R&D and others chat from the wish box. Can we compensate for information and gather it here? perhabs we are now can making it after 5 years :)
perhabs we find an Espressifer which can answere this or these.

ESP32-S2 is here and ESP32-S3 is in the (beta) pipe ...

I would start this thread because there is very little information in the www about .diff ESP32-S2 and the ESP32-S3
but not confirmed or publicly disseminated by espressif

so i think the best choice is, we ask our questions in simple form in the standard forum for ESP* and perhabs ESP_ Engineer's (members) can find a way to answere things between the lines more the more E2E or E2M
feel free for write your questions and feel free to answere it:

a) ESP32-S3 has more RAM as the ESP32-S2, is it true? How much is it?
b) ESP32-S3 comes with Wifi & Bluetooth 5.0, is it true?
c) ESP32-S3 is Dual Core, one for APP and one for Wifi/Bluetooth, is it true?
d) ESP32-S3 includes a RISC-V ultra-low-power coprocessor like the ESP32-S2, is it true?
e) ESP32-S3 is the same Package factor like the ESP32-S2, is it true?
f) ESP32-S3 have same Pinouts like the ESP32-S2, is it true?
g) ESP32-S3 comes with new secure boot technic ( Firmware protection, Product protection ), is it true?
h) ESP32-S3 has the RAM organiced in one contiguous peace, is it true?
i) ESP32-S3 comes this year or begin next year as BETA - or engineering sample - or as a release ?
j) ESP32-S3 has new feature what ESP32-S2 not have, especially ...( SIGMADELTA 8 CHANNEL's) (example) .... ?
k) ESP32-S3 has an updated USB OTG STack to V 2.0 included, is it true?
l) ESP32-S3 has new AES functionen for SecureBoot / SecureFactoryFirmwares to protect product targets, is it true?
xyz) Can you share ESP32-S3-Beta2 pictures from your desk ?

best wishes
rudi :-)

edit:
Yes We are celebrating on 13 Nov 2020 now the 5th year ESP32.COM Forum Existence Think about it !! :)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite

Re: What ESP32-S3 brings and what we can talk about ESP32-S3 and few (new ) feat.

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 am

Hi Rudi! Note that since we have done IPO, in general we need to be a bit more careful what we as engineers say... something with affecting stock prices etc, so sorry if we can't happily put out clear specs here. I can perhaps say that most of the things you put in the list are very good guesses. In general, the ESP32-S3 is going to be the more capable 'bigger brother' of the ESP32-S2; more in the 'original' ESP32 ballpark of capabilities on most points. The innovations we did with the -S2 will certainly not be thrown away by going to the -S3, for instance, it would make very little sense to not use the shiny new RiscV ULP we developed, and given the fact that the -S3 is supposed to be better than the -S2, you could also assume CPU power would be increased somehow. No comment on security, also because I honestly do not know, but I can tell you that given the rest of the specs, I personally would not expect much changes in the USB ballpark.

Note the above is just stuff that is either already public or speculations I think any engineer could do, so if you're an investor, please don't go buy or sell stock because of the above :P

dmaxben

Re: What ESP32-S3 brings and what we can talk about ESP32-S3 and few (new ) feat.

Postby dmaxben » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Any hints on "TWAI" capability of the ESP32-S3? :)

M@rcel

Postby M@rcel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:12 pm

dmaxben wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:01 pm
Any hints on "TWAI" capability of the ESP32-S3? :)
Yes, this

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:28 am

Well, given the fact that the -S2 has TWAI, I think it's not unreasonable to expect the -S3 to have it as well. I don't quite know too much about other details, though.

username

Postby username » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:38 am

@rudi, well written.

Can we at least know the answer to this question.
c) ESP32-S3 is Dual Core, one for APP and one for Wifi/Bluetooth, is it true?

M@rcel

Postby M@rcel » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:22 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:28 am
Well, given the fact that the -S2 has TWAI, I think it's not unreasonable to expect the -S3 to have it as well. I don't quite know too much about other details, though.
Yes, but how many TWAI controllers? :?:

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi Jeroen

There are few S3 Guru's infos spread in the world,
few things let investor buy but also few things sell :roll:

Yes i have heard, that CPU Processing is powering up , what is not to be called at the same time, that we get Dual Core but perhabs ~330 MHz or DualCore and ~330MHz possible? Since ip cadence posted infos about the 7series and the speed about (benchmark "out of the box" score) i followed this track on LX so i do pure speculation to the ~330 MHz.

The basic problematic in this spread of infos is just in time, John Lee is very quiet ( last active here in BBS 2018 ) and infos are spread around the www from everybody and without any reaction on task and triggers by mail, twitter & Co. I hope he is well and much healthy.

From ESP-IDF and Tools in the GIT repos, also from compiler cchache and other things, there are infos between the lines what comes or better what is inside tested in espressif R&D / DigiGuys.

I think also, that TWAI is in S3, but i think not up counted, so one TWAI controller.
I hoped for CAN in S2 like it was in ESP32 - which we made the CAN driver by community but espressif seems to want to cook a own CAN ... i mean TWAI feat.
TWAI is very adaptable and configurable, so I welcome this TWAI interface very sympathetically.
The USB Stack is the same i think, also the ULP.

I know, few outside guys knows espressif's engineer, R&D, and they may gain something from their channel.
Also that espressif have an open environment for they engineers and they can gain engineering samples easily during their work,
i got never things from an engineer btw - my contact is other direction.
Also engineering samples make no sense if you don't have prerelease datasheets at hand. So I don't think these people are being cared for without a datasheet. (own sampler experience from the past)

No Problem Jeroen, if you can't write as an espressif engineer more details in the espressif's Main BBS just in time yet.
i hoped for a S3 picture from your or the espressif's engineering desk - but i think - you have no S3 -beta1, S3 -beta2 in your hands just in time yet and you will be supplied with it after the beta phase - I always thought - that software engineer's always get HW at same time, but I also know from the past that the software department usually writes the software for a long time without HW and relies on feedback from the HW guys. I remember in the community there was samples before SW appart. wrote the software, that was already there - that was long before the IPO :)

it is ok too. no problem Jeroen.
waiting for the news and announcements
Stay healthy and take care

best wishes
rudi

edit: typo's & form
edit: annoying gif removed
edit: add (benchmark "out of the box" score) ip cadence link and few adds between the lines
Last edited by rudi ;-) on Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 am

So, marketing & warmers aside.
When is the the official product description release? Is there one already or are we in marketing 'chum' mode?
A cynic.

EDIT: Guess a little unreasonable to ask above. Will settle with 'is there an official feature statement and/or market feature study'? & if so where are we at? Some are thinking a couple years ahead so may help to provide some substance.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:35 am

Publicly, what you see here is what you get, for the moment at least.