Is it possible to use default protocols over mesh network (SNTP, HTTP, MQTT, Websockets)?

RichPiano

Is it possible to use default protocols over mesh network (SNTP, HTTP, MQTT, Websockets)?

Postby RichPiano » Sat May 01, 2021 8:05 am

I'm considering using esp-mesh to increase the routing capacities of our many devices, so that they are not directly connected to the router and also the range of the network can extend beyond its reach.

But I'm finding it difficult to establish whether or not esp-mesh will work together with the default protocols of existing libraries such as MQTT (mqtt_client.h), STNP (esp_sntp.h) or HTTP (esp_http_client.h) and websockets (esp_websocket_client.h). As far as I can tell, those modules use functions that do not root on a common abstraction layer which is altered by esp-mesh, which means that I would have to rewrite even basic TLS functionality to work with esp-mesh. Is this assumption correct?

RichPiano

Re: Is it possible to use default protocols over mesh network (SNTP, HTTP, MQTT, Websockets)?

Postby RichPiano » Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 am

Maybe I rewrite my question to be more clear :)

I want to use MQTT, Websockets and HTTP over a mesh (so every esp is communicating to the outside world with said protocols). Is this possible somehow?

ESP_Sprite

Re: Is it possible to use default protocols over mesh network (SNTP, HTTP, MQTT, Websockets)?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 am

By default, we don't support IP connectivity between internal nodes and the outside world. However, we have an example that basically sets up a NAT over the mesh protocol, allowing you to use standard IP-based protocols (the example uses MQTT.)

RichPiano

Postby RichPiano » Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 am

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :D I was studying said example and tried to put the pieces together (related https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20764). Do you have any literature that you can recommend to me to dive further down into this topic (aside from the official esp32 documentation)?