Advise for a new Project

glmdrx

Advise for a new Project

Postby glmdrx » Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Hello Expressif members,

I am starting a new project and am in the process of choosing the devices that best meet my needs. :geek:

I want to create a system that takes pictures and stores them on an SD card autonomously when an input signal is detected (switch or presence sensor for example). :)

The user can download the recorded images on his smartphone using a wifi or bluetooth protocol. 8-)

The device will be powered by a battery recharged by a solar panel. :idea:

ESP32-CAM seems to be the most suitable device for my project, but a Raspberry Pi Zero can also do the job.
Indeed, the ESP32 use less power than Raspberry.
But, one of the problematic points that I noticed on the ESP32-CAM is that we have to press a button to do a reset. My system will be in a box and not accessible. Is there a way to dispense with pressing this button or doing it remotely?

In view of this small description can you tell me if the choice of ESP32-CAM is a good choice and if not what advise me :?:

Thank you in advance,
--
GDLMDRX

ESP_Sprite

Re: Advise for a new Project

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed May 12, 2021 12:16 am

....why would you have a need to manually reset the ESP32 any more than you would have a need to reset a Raspberry Pi?

username

Postby username » Wed May 12, 2021 12:43 pm

Is there a way to dispense with pressing this button or doing it remotely?
Sure, tie a gpio pin to reset. From your app, you can trigger the GPIO to reset the unit.

glmdrx

Postby glmdrx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:19 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:16 am
....why would you have a need to manually reset the ESP32 any more than you would have a need to reset a Raspberry Pi?
Thanks for this response. My system will be supply by a battery and solar panel. I tell myself that if there is not enough power in cloudy weather, a reset will be necessary. But the system will be out of range and the user will not be able to do it.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 am

You need a voltage supervisor

David_056

Postby David_056 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:50 am

Do you have a voltage supplier?

glmdrx

Postby glmdrx » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:56 pm

WiFive wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 am
You need a voltage supervisor
Thank,

I red some information on voltage supervisor and it seems to be a good idea.
If I understand well, the idea is to use les voltage supervisor to protect the esp32 against overvoltages and undervoltages and use a logical signal to reset the esp32 when the voltage is correctly stabilized ?

username

Postby username » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:50 am

A voltage supervisor is typically a 3 pin device. Power, output & gnd. They come in many, many flavors. Reset voltages, and output high or output low. So lets say you picked a 2.9v threshold one like this:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... E1/4515308

When the voltage goes below 2.9v the output will go low and stay low until it gets above a certain voltage again (see data sheet).
You would tie the output to the EN pin which will hold it in a reset state if the voltage goes below 2.9v.

Are you aware that the ESP32 has a Brownout voltage detection already built in, and you can configure it for several voltage levels in menuconfig ?

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ownout-det