ESP wireless interfaces - master thesis measurements

Czarneck

ESP wireless interfaces - master thesis measurements

Postby Czarneck » Sun May 16, 2021 9:15 am

Hello.

I have a question regarding ESP32 wireless interfaces.
Long story short I gotta do master research and I'd like it to be about ESP32 Wi-Fi + BL/BLE. My supervisor suggested we could make use of EMC chamber available on my department building and measure how well ESP deals with electromagnetic interference during transmission (ESP to ESP via Wi-Fi, BL and BLE as i mentioned).
The problem is that we gotta make it dependent on some changeable parameter. First i thought about using various protocols but in longer run it doesn't make sense. Then my supervisor suggested changing for example MTU. I did a search and found how to change it for BL but can't find how it can be done for Wi-Fi.
Does someone have any idea how to modify that MTU for Wi-Fi in ESP and what else i could change to influence electromagnetic resistance anyhow?

Is it a reasonable subject?
Maybe as a society that knows ESP well you can propose some other interesting idea for research?
Regards Cezary

ns1668

Re: ESP wireless interfaces - master thesis measurements

Postby ns1668 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:02 pm

When you say "to influence electromagnetic resistance" what are you intending measure exactly?

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Tue May 18, 2021 11:21 pm

I would like to see a study of LR mode. You can also use fixed data rate and Max tx power settings. If you want to play with esp32c3 you can study Bluetooth 5 coded phy.

Czarneck

Postby Czarneck » Thu May 20, 2021 6:22 am

Hello

Thank you for your answers.
When I talked about influencing electromagnetic resistance I meant to try to achieve the best delivery rate in an abnormal electromagnetic emmission.

Yeah. I talked to my promotor about a possibility of broadening the subject and wanna do some research about LR+Mesh also.
Simply for Wi-Fi, BLE, BL(if it can be separated), LR and mesh (may be indifferent form Wi-Fi) check the maximum distance with strength above of some threshold(without EMC since chamber is small), check the EMC emission and resistance during different modes (Most likely espressif tells it but why not to check ;-) ). Check the max transmission rate in normal conditions if possible.

(so far it's just a blurred vision in my head how it's supposed to look like but more or less like this)

PS. I didn't tried C3 yet (Just learned about the very fact of it's existence actually :D Recently I'm 100% focused on normal 32 + s2(USB) and seems it's a new thing)
Thanks for hinting. It may be interesting. ;-)

Regards!

ns1668

Postby ns1668 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:32 am

This is interesting. My suggestion would be to take a look at some of the radio testing reports for products that already have ESP32 modules in them - this gives a good indication of the baseline performance.

In regards to the effective range - I think this is mostly dictated by the RF front-end (antenna).
For best rate transmission,you should consider looking at the modulation and encoding schemes defined by 802.11 - https://download.tek.com/document/37W-29447-2_LR.pdf. Lower complexity provides greater chance of successful transmission in noisier conditions.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sat May 22, 2021 8:19 am

Something else for you to study https://www.espressif.com/en/news/ESP32-WROOM-DA