ESP-Prog with Terminal Client?

samsam

ESP-Prog with Terminal Client?

Postby samsam » Mon May 17, 2021 1:55 pm

Is it possible to run a Terminal Client (Putty, TeraTerm etc.) through ESP-Prog?
I can't start session with Putty at all, with Tera Term some times can get a messy output, but both programs at certain point blocks the execution on the attached to ESP-Prog ESP32 module which was running the Blinky example :(
Thanks

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP-Prog with Terminal Client?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue May 18, 2021 5:38 am

ESP-Prog is basically an FT2232H on a PCB. As that chip implements a fully compliant USB-to-serial converter, you should have no issues using it with any terminal client. Are you sure your issues aren't because of something else, e.g. your application switching baudrates during startup?

Edit: I see your terminal shows a reboot... is the power supply of your ESP32 adequate? (Should be 3.3V @ >=500mA)

samsam

Postby samsam » Tue May 18, 2021 11:38 am

There is no other antivirus program than the standard Windows Defender Installed.
The code that is running is the original blink example - only output for the LED is changed from GPIO 5 to GPIO 15.

On the hardware side there is only one ESP32-WROVER-E and a 2mA LED + resistor hooked to GPIO 15
Board was programmed with ESP-Prog (couple times) without problem when flashing. Although there were problems/bugs with Eclipse/plugin before can reach any flashing as per this https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclips ... -842907030
There is no other power supply than provided from ESP-Prog and the code works fine (i.e. blinking) until I try to connect with
a Terminal client (doesnt matter Putty or Tera Term). PuTTY either doesnt shows any output (even garbage) and stops blinking or shows garbage. Tera Term sometimes can get output i.e. Turning on the LED, Turning off the LED,...
As soon as press Reset button on ESP-prog and both PuTTY and Tera get crazy and shows only garbage

Update: The output on PuTTY is the same as with TeraTerm - I forgot to set baudrate to 115200
Attachments
teraterm3reset.png
Tera Term Output
teraterm3reset.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 6350 times
Last edited by samsam on Wed May 19, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 am

Odd. What are the jumper settings on your ESP-Prog?

samsam

Postby samsam » Wed May 19, 2021 5:51 pm

The settings on ESP-Prog are 3.3V for both ports and I00 jumper is on (although I tried and without I00 jumper - same output).

Interesting part when testing ESP32-WROVER-E is: When there is no Terminal client connected - blinks Ok, pressing(and hold) Reset on ESP-Prog - stops blinking, release Reset button on ESP-Prog restart blinking without any issues
while when a Terminal client is connected (tested 3 different so far: Tera, Putty, Realterm) after click Reset on ESP-Prog, start the garbage as shown on picture above and blink never recovers until disconnect terminal client :(

So I start testing my older board with ESP-WROOM-32 and the output is perfect with any terminal client even after restart and looks like the problem is not with ESP-Prog:
Is there any specific setting that have to be set for ESP32-WROVER-E that differs from what is for ESP-WROOM-32 with blink example? Any external pull-up/down resistors that have to be wired to any pin of ESP32-WROVER-E?

Thanks

Ooops - I just saw that I had on the schematic one pull-up resistor to EN and capacitor to GND, that I didn't populated yet, ...
so the 10K pullup solve the problem :)

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed May 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Ah, so your issue was that missing resistor? Great to hear it's solved then.

samsam

Postby samsam » Sat May 22, 2021 6:31 am

After you confirmed that the ESP-Prog normally suppose to output same as what I see from DevKit's debugs output, then was much easier to eliminate one by one what could be the problem (especially when I saw that there is something related to Enable line) - those floating inputs are real disaster to spot right away the problem - sometime working one way, next test something different :(
Thanks for the cooperation :)