Random power consumption

NKronig

Random power consumption

Postby NKronig » Mon May 31, 2021 1:02 pm

Hello,
In one of my recent projects I used the Esp32 to send/ receive data from Websockets. After it worked well on my Devkit I designed a dedicated PCB. Everything is working well, but the Esp32 sometimes consumes 120ma, 360ma or even 600ma. The power it consumes wont change after connecting the power supply, it stays at the amount it boots with. Sometimes it ran with 120ma for 2-3h but as soon as i disconnected the Powersupply and reconected it, it suddenly consumed 360ma. No matter what it decides to consume on power up it works the same (at least i havent noticed any impacts on the code its running) (I flashed it with 80MHz). Does anybody know why it is acting so wierd?
P.s. Please excuse my bad english (its not my first language)

username

Re: Random power consumption

Postby username » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:04 am

Not much someone could help you with without seeing the schematic. Or maybe in your soldering process you have a pin shorted to another.

NKronig

Re: Random power consumption

Postby NKronig » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:17 pm

Thats the first thing I checked. The soldering isnt shorted (same error on multiple PCB's) and the schematic is a simplyfied copy of the DEVKIT C schmatic. It must be some error in my Software (maybe something with the WifiAP). After Programming it always draws arround 120ma, but after the first reboot it always jumps up to 360ma (even after running hours with the 120ma). I thought maybe there is some common mistake people can make, when working with the Wifi part of the Module. (Not restarting it properly or something on those lines)

Code: Select all

WiFi.softAPdisconnect(true);
  WiFi.mode(WIFI_AP);
  if (ssidSet)
  {
    WiFi.softAP(read_String(SSIDCONFIG).c_str(), NULL, 1, 0, 10);
  }
  else
  {
    WiFi.softAP("test", NULL, 1, 0, 10);
  }
  delay(1000);