Can I use an ESP32 (or similar device) to make files on an embedded uSD card accessible from my company network?

magene

Can I use an ESP32 (or similar device) to make files on an embedded uSD card accessible from my company network?

Postby magene » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 am

We’ve developed an autonomous profiling float for oceanographic research. I’d like to make it easier for users to upload and download files between the uSD card connected to the float controller (an Atmel SAM9 with no OS) and our company network. A typical session would be 50-100 files (typically 5kB to 100 kB with an occasional file up to 1 MB) from the uSD card to the network and just a few small files from the network to the uSD card. The float can be within a few feet of a company network WiFi device. Speed isn't too important but minimizing or eliminating bit errors is very important. The users are not necessarily very tech savvy so the process needs to be simple. Unfortunately, I’m not very knowledgeable about networking over WiFi or Bluetooth and I’ve had a hard time finding the information I need. It seems like an ESP32 (or similar Espressif device) might be able to do this.

I can connect a ESP32 to my float controller using UART, SPI or I2C. The files are on a uSD card connected to the float controller.

Assuming I can get a connection between the ESP32 and my company network, can I make the files on the uSD card look like a drive on a computer on the network and use Windows Explorer to move files back and forth?

Or can I use FTP to transfer files back and forth? Hopefully without having to implement TCP/IP or FTP on my float controller.

If there's an easier way, I'd be happy to hear it. And if someone could point me at some basic information I can use to educate myself about how to do this, that would be great.

Thanks

username

Re: Can I use an ESP32 (or similar device) to make files on an embedded uSD card accessible from my company network?

Postby username » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:06 am

There are many examples in the esp-idf folder.
Start here.
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... le_serving

magene

Re: Can I use an ESP32 (or similar device) to make files on an embedded uSD card accessible from my company network?

Postby magene » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:57 am

I'm still educating myself on how to transfer files using an ESP32. It seems like FTP might be appropriate. Do any of the ESP32 devices or dev kits have a FTP server built in? If there's a FTP example somewhere, I haven't found it and if someone could point me at one, that would be great.

Thanks