ID'ing the Espressif product by MAC address?

sgarmis

ID'ing the Espressif product by MAC address?

Postby sgarmis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:02 pm

I have to ID a lot of devices on networks using only the MAC addresses of those devices. Do Espressif device MAC addresses have identifiers (past the OUI) to determine which Espressif device it is? Is there a Espressif MAC address decoder ring for devices?

mbratch

Re: ID'ing the Espressif product by MAC address?

Postby mbratch » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:48 am

There isn't one built in. What would the unique names look like?

FYI the last six digits should be unique between all of the units since the prefix values identify manufacturer, etc. So you don't need the entire MAC to distinguish them.

If you want a readable, friendly unique name, consider using means. In my software I create a hostname from a friendly prefix identifying the product and suffix with the last six Mac address digits to ensure each is unique. This name is accessible via mDMS and NetBIOS.

Vader_Mester

Postby Vader_Mester » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:14 am

sgarmis wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:02 pm
I have to ID a lot of devices on networks using only the MAC addresses of those devices. Do Espressif device MAC addresses have identifiers (past the OUI) to determine which Espressif device it is? Is there a Espressif MAC address decoder ring for devices?
It is possible, to edit MAC addresses, and use the customized MACs to ID devices. By default ESP reads the base MAC from eFUSE which is factory programmed, but you can set the base MAC and store in flash, like with NVS, with this API.
Happy reading 8-)

Code: Select all

task_t coffeeTask()
{
	while(atWork){
		if(!xStreamBufferIsEmpty(mug)){
			coffeeDrink(mug);
		} else {
			xTaskCreate(sBrew, "brew", 9000, &mug, 1, NULL);
			xSemaphoreTake(sCoffeeRdy, portMAX_DELAY);
		}
	}
	vTaskDelete(NULL);
}

sgarmis

Postby sgarmis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:36 pm

My hope was that some sort of logic was already in use. As an example Sonos, Apple and several other vendors use the next 2 hexadecimal numbers to identify the model. I was hoping Espressif also had such a scheme so that a more detailed identification could be made.

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Apple, et al, have written code to generate and publish a host name. You still need to write such code for esp32, so you can use any scheme you like.