Feasibility question: are there libraries for RTMP client and server on ESP-IDF?

zliudr

Feasibility question: are there libraries for RTMP client and server on ESP-IDF?

Postby zliudr » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm

I'm trying to whip up a proof of concept device based on one wrover that should act as an RTMP server to receive video streams from multiple esp32camera modules and record the streams to onboard storage.

I've just started reading on RTMP protocol so I'll try my best to clarify what I want. I may update this thread when I get better understanding on it. As of now, I see it as running on top of TCP/TLSSSL/UDP so this could be done on ESP-IDF that has these protocols. I'm still not sure how complex the RTMP protocol is. I'm trying to have a few esp32camera modules send streams to one Wrover with enough PSRAM and storage (say sd card/sd ic) to store the streams.

I imagine on the esp32cam module side, I will need an RTMP client library to maybe encode the videos into streams and upload to a server. I guess I can test this side of the things with an established RTMP server for functionality. Say, will youtube.com have such service where I can stream to and watch on PC?

I also imagine I will need an RTMP server library on ESP-IDF that runs on the wrover to receive and store the steams into files. I wonder if I can use some standard network camera as client to test this part of the code.

These are the esp32cam modules, pretty inexpensive. I have several:

https://www.amazon.com/ESP32-CAM-Blueto ... B07S5PVZKV

Please, any thoughts and points are welcome!

zliudr

Re: Feasibility question: are there libraries for RTMP client and server on ESP-IDF?

Postby zliudr » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:40 pm

Regarding the ESP32CAM part, making it serve RTMP stream was not hard. I found this tutorial. You must have a stable power supply. UART adapters and jumper wires will cause the stream to stop after a few minutes. Get a carrier board.

https://bitsnblobs.com/rtsp-video-streamer---esp32/

Now I'm looking at recording the streams to a wrover module.