ESP WROOM 32 newbie questions

JohnKed

ESP WROOM 32 newbie questions

Postby JohnKed » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Well, I starting with the ESP32 (using Arduino Core) and I have lot of question despite my google searches!

So, question 1:
Does the ESP Wroom 32 has bluetooth? And if yes, it uses the same pcb antenna that's on the PCB or I have to use an external antenna? Can I use Bluetooth and WiFi the same time with this PCB antenna on the module?

2:
I want to have two ESP32 wroom modules and just send basic serial data between them via bluetooth. Do we have any software example about that?

3:
Its seems that the ESP32 has two cores. Can I program those cores to run totally different code with Arduino? If yes, can I exchange info (let's say simple serial data) between those cores internally? Any example?
Also, can both of those cores control separate IO pins?

4:
Can I use the sd card to run ESP32 firmware from there and also use the same sd card for data?

5:
Is it possible to use SsoftwareSerial on any pins of ESP32?

Well... that's all for now! Many thanks in advance!!!

sintech

Re: ESP WROOM 32 newbie questions

Postby sintech » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:49 am

So, question 1:
Yes, the same antenna. You can use BT and WIFI at the same time.
3:
Its seems that the ESP32 has two cores. Can I program those cores to run totally different code with Arduino? If yes, can I exchange info (let's say simple serial data) between those cores internally? Any example?
Also, can both of those cores control separate IO pins?
Yes you can. https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2118
Both cores have access to the same memory space, i.e. you can r/w to same variable on both cores. But it is not tread safe approach.
And yes, each core can control any GPIO.
4:
Can I use the sd card to run ESP32 firmware from there and also use the same sd card for data?
Currently you can use SD card only for data. Program should be stored on SPI flash attached to separate pins (inside module).
5:
Is it possible to use SsoftwareSerial on any pins of ESP32?
Why not.

JohnKed

Re: ESP WROOM 32 newbie questions

Postby JohnKed » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Thank you sintech!!!
It was really helpfull!