PSRAM support in SDK for ESP32S3

sumant

PSRAM support in SDK for ESP32S3

Postby sumant » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:34 am

Hello, I am using ESP32S3 module, ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1. Though in module there is PSRAM but when I try to configure it through the menuconfig it does does work. So may be in SDK PSRAM support is still not available. May I know some when this PSRAM support for ESP32S3 will be available in SDK? Thanks.

rudi ;-)

Re: PSRAM support in SDK for ESP32S3

Postby rudi ;-) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 am

sumant wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:34 am
Hello, I am using ESP32S3 module, ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1. Though in module there is PSRAM but when I try to configure it through the menuconfig it does does work. So may be in SDK PSRAM support is still not available. May I know some when this PSRAM support for ESP32S3 will be available in SDK? Thanks.
Hi,
firstly,
ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8 which was for sale on Digikey (last weeks) etc is the one without PSRAM so you have no PSRAM on the Kit.
it comes to market soon ..
If you have your PSRAM DevKitC from espressif sales app:
( ESP32-S3-N8R8 or the ESP32-S3-N16R8 or or N4R8 or N4R2 orN8R2 or N16R2 )
see here: WROOM Table helps little for orientation for what N#R# stands for:

then your Kit is ready-
or you did append PSRAM byself on a basicly ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8 so check you did it right,
then
checkout you have the right SDK installed, for the ESP32S3 ( not ESP32S3beta ) you need the latest ( 4.4..) IDF and tools
for your Hello_World you set then with idf.py set-target esp32s3 your Hello_world example ready for the esp32-s3,
then you call the menuconfig by idf.py menuconfig
in the menuconfig you should now see used toolchain for the esp32-s3 ( not esp32-s3-beta )
then you go to the esp32-s3 menuitem and activate the support for psram
depended on your used PSRAM type, manufacturer, size you set the right paramaters for the PSRAM (Octal, Spi, CLK rate ..auto )
check the uses pins for clk and cs# ( should be used for theDevKit like it is set by default )
and you are ready.

hope this helps with this short answere.
if any, feel free to reply with questions and we talk step by step.

best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit:typo + add link to PSRAM mod + add table types WROOM.. (pic)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

shailesh.korat

Postby shailesh.korat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 am

Hello Rudi,

We are using ESP32-S3-WROOM-1-N8R2 module and that have 2 MB PSRAM.

We are using following master branch of ESP-IDF for ESP32-S3 for our development.

But When I looked in feature list supported into ESP32-S3 on following link, I understand that PSRAM is not supported yet in ESP-IDF yet.

https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21906

Can you confirm please confirm this?

If its not supported yet in master branch(v4.4...), when its going to be add in IDF?

Thanks.

sumant

Postby sumant » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am

Hello Rudi,
We got it ESP32-S3-WROOM-1-N8R2 module from esp sales app.
I have set the following:
1. PSRAM CLK IO number -- we set it to 30 is it correct or is it something else?
2. PSRAM CS IO number -- we set it to 26 is it correct or is it something else?
3. It is Quad mode PSRAM so we set it to Quad mode PSRAM is it correct or is it something else?
Could you please confirm.
Thanks.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:06 am

shailesh.korat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 am
Hello Rudi,

We are using ESP32-S3-WROOM-1-N8R2 module and that have 2 MB PSRAM.

We are using following master branch of ESP-IDF for ESP32-S3 for our development.

But When I looked in feature list supported into ESP32-S3 on following link, I understand that PSRAM is not supported yet in ESP-IDF yet.

https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21906

Can you confirm please confirm this?

If its not supported yet in master branch(v4.4...), when its going to be add in IDF?

Thanks.
Hi

Thank you for reply,
ESP32-S3 PSRAM should be supported in the latest Master for the PSRAM Test and Hello World.
Update 2021/07/28: added UART, Flash/PSRAM encryption, Timer group, USB Device, ADC, Task & interrupt watchdogs, basic OpenOCD support, partial Efuse support.

Update 2021/08/31: added Secure boot, HMAC, I2C, I2S, LEDC, SPI Flash, "idf.py size", light sleep, DFS, power management
SPI | Octal
It should work with OCTAL and with 120MHz Flash and RAM too
I will test with my SPI and also OCTAL version's - and reply result.
Note: the 120MHz setup is... :shock: FAst - very FAst (amazing fast for customized microPython/CircuitPython ) so please try first with 40,80 also you need the right PSRAM which support 120MHz if you build your own PCB / Developkit
Note: 120MHZ can only be used by main flash after timing tuning in system. Do not use this directely in any API.

i will reply today again..
perhabs it helps in the meantime,psram should work with the latest master in hello work example, also the PSRAM Test
but i will test N8R8 to be sure in N8R2 - should be the same only little more PSRAM

MY test was in the meantime ( no psram modul i had ) with an standard ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 N8 which i did append PSRAM by hand solder
I used the last ESP-IDF Master and psram worked for me, there are other people too which followed the mod and PSRAM works there too - hope this helps

best wishes
rudi ;-)

edit: add link to ESP-IDF
edit: support 120MHz Quad Flash and PSRAM on ESP32S3
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 pm

sumant wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am
Hello Rudi,
We got it ESP32-S3-WROOM-1-N8R2 module from esp sales app.
I have set the following:
1. PSRAM CLK IO number -- we set it to 30 is it correct or is it something else?
2. PSRAM CS IO number -- we set it to 26 is it correct or is it something else?
3. It is Quad mode PSRAM so we set it to Quad mode PSRAM is it correct or is it something else?
Thanks.
Hi
i make a short step from hello_world ..set-target , menuconfig and short minimal setup
should help you -try to watch this video on my ESP32DE youtube channel.
let me know if you success or fail.
usually is the N8R2 same wired -i have not the sheet at hand here so you must try with the standard GPIO for CLK and CS.
let me know if you can watch this video or if you can not - so i will link it to an download server if you need this.
hope this helps.

1. PSRAM CLK IO 30 standard -ok
2. PSRAM CS IO 26 standard -ok
3. R2 should be QUAD and not OCTAL yes - Quad

my problem:
i have not explizite the N8R2 by the hand which you have.
but should work from menuconfig as long as you not build your own pcb and use own IO Pins..
see here for S3
the S2 is here

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:18 pm

sumant wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am
Thanks.

Hi
one trick you can do if you have the hardware - ( i have it not by the hand )
hold boot on connect so the innerside firmware does not start and comes firstly to the download mode, [i**]hold it all the time** [/i]( wire boot pin to GND ) you can use espefuse with the arg: summary

this tells you how the standard named pins are routed,( standard or "warped"/routed),overrided and so on,
also it tells you which VDD_ is used for the innerside flash / psram ( 1.2, 1.7, 1.8 ...3.3 ..or anything else ).

be sure you use the latest version, it comes with esptool, test does esptool support the esp32s3 (not esp32s3beta) with simply
call the esptool [-h]

hope this helps.

** you do not need do this, usually this does the tool, it is only a doing if you not want start the firmware on connect with supply/USB.. after your buy / get firsttime in use **

best wishes
rudi ;-)
Attachments
eFuse Manager.jpg
eFuse Manager.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
esptool_espefuse.jpg
esptool_espefuse.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪