ESP RF Test Tool not compatible with native USB on ESP32-S3

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP RF Test Tool not compatible with native USB on ESP32-S3

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:18 am

For what it's worth, I talked to the RF team, and they say the impact on WiFi performance is measurable but minimal: 1 to 2 dB, and only on channels 7, 8 and 9. I'm working on getting more information about this issue public. (In case you're interested, the issue is that USB runs off a 48MHz clock. The line between the PLL and the USB logic couples ever so slightly into the WiFi block, where the 48MHz gets upmixed to 2448MHz. That's smack dab in the WiFi band, hence the lower performance around that frequency. It's fixed in the chips after the C3/S3.

ESP_WZH

Postby ESP_WZH » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:39 am

@Seon In fact, the impact of USB PHY on RF performance is very minimal. We are developing firmware to support USB Console and it's will be available soon ~

seonroz

Postby seonroz » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:18 am
For what it's worth, I talked to the RF team, and they say the impact on WiFi performance is measurable but minimal: 1 to 2 dB, and only on channels 7, 8 and 9. I'm working on getting more information about this issue public. (In case you're interested, the issue is that USB runs off a 48MHz clock. The line between the PLL and the USB logic couples ever so slightly into the WiFi block, where the 48MHz gets upmixed to 2448MHz. That's smack dab in the WiFi band, hence the lower performance around that frequency. It's fixed in the chips after the C3/S3.
Thanks for the explanation. Glad it's fixed for future products... shame it slipped through on the C3/S3. I know 1-2db is not much, and public knowledge about choosing alternate channels to avoid this would be great.
ESP_WZH wrote: @Seon In fact, the impact of USB PHY on RF performance is very minimal. We are developing firmware to support USB Console and it's will be available soon ~
Excellent. Is there an ETA? I was working on docs for my test lab about connecting an external programmer, as I need to get into pre-cert before CNY, but if I can avoid these steps and still get into pre-cert before CNY, that would be amazing!

Happy Non-CHNY everyone!
Seon
unexpectedmaker.com

ESP_WZH

Postby ESP_WZH » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:35 am

Hi, @Seon, the test tool supporting USB Console is expected to be completed next week.

seonroz

Postby seonroz » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:44 pm

ESP_WZH wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:35 am
Hi, @Seon, the test tool supporting USB Console is expected to be completed next week.
Wicked!
Seon
unexpectedmaker.com

seonroz

Postby seonroz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:49 am

ESP_WZH wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:35 am
Any update on this?
Seon
unexpectedmaker.com

Jeroenvdb

Postby Jeroenvdb » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:27 pm

@ESP_WZH @ESP_Sprite

Have there been any developments? Latest ESP RF Test Tool V2.8 is dated 2021.11.10.

We are facing the same challenge as @seonroz describes, but we are using the ESP32-C3. Programming the test binary over USB works fine, but after programming, the USB Uart device disappears and never restores. We don't really have a backup since RX/TX are connected to a modem.