Does FreeRTOS (available with ESP-IDF Release 4.4) exploit multi-core capabilities ?

ThomasESP32

Does FreeRTOS (available with ESP-IDF Release 4.4) exploit multi-core capabilities ?

Postby ThomasESP32 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:08 pm

Good afternoon,

Espressif components/boards are totally new for me.
My company has just purchased a ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1 and I have just installed Eclipse IDE with ESP-IDF release 4.4.

I know FreeRTOS because I use the version 10.0.1 on a Renesas 32 bits microcontroller on another project
and I would like to know which version of FreeRTOS is available with ESP-IDF release 4.4.

Moreover, because I have seen that ESP32-S3 is a multi-core microcontroller, I would like to know if FreeRTOS exploits
this feature. For example, is it possible do create a task that runs on one core and another task that runs on another core ?
In this case, are there mecanisms that can be used to communicate between the tasks running on different cores like queues or something else ?

If multi-core exploitation is available, could you please tell me where I could find documentation about this feature in order to use it during developments ? I would like to understand how FreeRTOS deal with multi-core capabilities.

Thank you for your help on this subject, it is very important.
Best regards.

Thomas TRUILHE

ESP_Sprite

Re: Does FreeRTOS (available with ESP-IDF Release 4.4) exploit multi-core capabilities ?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:07 am

Yes, we have. The modifications/differences wrt the normal freertos are documented here. In our implementation, all of the FreeRTOS methods of communicating between tasks also work when the tasks happen to run on different cores.