ESP RF Test tool and ESP32-C3 over USB

vm__dm

ESP RF Test tool and ESP32-C3 over USB

Postby vm__dm » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:34 pm

Is it possible to run the tool using the integrate USB2CDC converter of the chip, without having to connect an external port?
I am testing with ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1 (rewired to route USB signals to the ESP, without using the on-board converter) and I can download the firmware, but get an access denied when I try to run the commands, like if the FW is disabling the USB port.
Do I need to connect to the UART pins? Should I use U0TXD and U0RXD? The documentation of the tool isn't very clear about this.
Is there a way to use just USB? I will have no dedicated UART on my custom device, so running the tool would be complicated.
As an alternative, it's possible to customize this tool? Is it open source?

vm__dm

Re: ESP RF Test tool and ESP32-C3 over USB

Postby vm__dm » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:20 pm

As an alternative, is there a low-level documented APIs that allow me to perform the same operations done by that tool?
Continous TX etc.

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi vm__dm,

Currently the release binaries of the RF test tool do not support USB_SERIAL_JTAG. You may, however, request a customized version of the tool with USB support if you contact Espressif technical support directly.

(The tool is not open source, and isn't available in the form of a library, unfortunately. We do plan to make at least the pre-compiled library with header files available as part of IDF, to make customizations possible. However there is no concrete timeline for that will happen.)

vm__dm

Postby vm__dm » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:47 am

Thank you for the clarification, I contacted tech support.

axellin

Postby axellin » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:08 am

ESP_igrr wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:57 pm
Hi vm__dm,

Currently the release binaries of the RF test tool do not support USB_SERIAL_JTAG. You may, however, request a customized version of the tool with USB support if you contact Espressif technical support directly.

(The tool is not open source, and isn't available in the form of a library, unfortunately. We do plan to make at least the pre-compiled library with header files available as part of IDF, to make customizations possible. However there is no concrete timeline for that will happen.)
I have the same request to use USB_SERIAL_JTAG for RF test (ESP32C3).
Just curious do you have this support already now?
If yes, maybe espressif can add "RF test tool using USB_SERIAL_JTAG" in Tools download page.

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Wed May 31, 2023 9:09 am

Just following up, https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... /cert_test can now be used to integrate certification related features into a custom application, including the one using USB_SERIAL_JTAG.