How often should I update esp-idf?

clarkster

How often should I update esp-idf?

Postby clarkster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm developing an application for my own use.

For you more professional developers, how often do you update your esp folder containing eep-idf and extensa?

I see that the esp-idf GitHub is being updated every day or so. Do you guys update whenever you see the repository has changed?

Or do you wait until a new release is announced, unless you have specific problems that you know an update will fix?

Gfast2

Re: How often should I update esp-idf?

Postby Gfast2 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

clarkster wrote:I'm developing an application for my own use.

For you more professional developers, how often do you update your esp folder containing eep-idf and extensa?

I see that the esp-idf GitHub is being updated every day or so. Do you guys update whenever you see the repository has changed?

Or do you wait until a new release is announced, unless you have specific problems that you know an update will fix?
As often as possible I believe.

Lucas.Hutchinson

Re: How often should I update esp-idf?

Postby Lucas.Hutchinson » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm

It does depend a little bit on what parts of the IDF you are using.

If v2.1 has all the support you need, and you are looking for api stability etc, then sticking with a specific release of the IDF is a good plan.

However if, like me, you need some of the features of the upcoming v3.0 if the IDF then I would recommend updating regularly at least until v3.0 is officially released.

Personally I am currently updating about once per week. Once v3.0 is released i will likey not update the IDF version of my project until future stable versions are released as v3.0 has most of the features i want (apart from some low power optimisations for BLE)