Best way to work on one project from different PCs?

newsettler_AI

Best way to work on one project from different PCs?

Postby newsettler_AI » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi,

not sure does this topic suits for this forum thread, but others are more specialized.

Eventually, I have to work on same project from different PCs. And I have faced with couple problems while synchronization my code.

So, I would like to ask advices. What is best way to keep project in actual state? Upload and donwload directly from github each time? Or use something like Dropbox, GoogleDrive ect?

urbanze

Re: Best way to work on one project from different PCs?

Postby urbanze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:38 am

Well, I use Google Drive to sink ALL my files, and work's perfectly for me. :D

kolban

Postby kolban » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Personally, I like using Github and pushing my best so far to a branch and performing a pull/change/commit/push after ending a work session. This not only allows me to work on multiple machines but protects my source from a disk crash, virtual machine loss, and keeps a history of all changes.

If your PCs are all local then either a network attached storage device or an NFS export from one of your Linux machines will also work well.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

newsettler_AI

Postby newsettler_AI » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 pm

What about additional files? Like sdkconfig, whole folder BUILD in project and so on.

I can just skip synchronizaion of this files, leave only .c and .h files, makefile and sdkconfig (just as here https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf-template)

But in this case there is one moment - I have to rebuild (and configure sdkconfig) project each time.
Some of PCs is not so powerfull (I remember when I built blink-example to test settings about 15-20 minutes, and then "well... lets just build other projects for next few hours"), so I would like to avoid rebuilding and reconfiguring from "make menuconfig" projects each time.

When project consisted from one c file, it was nearly acceptable just copy-paste code in it with Teamviewer.
But when projects became more complex it is so easy to make mistake, when you do it manually...