Project organization in eclipse and github

newsettler_AI

Project organization in eclipse and github

Postby newsettler_AI » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi!
I'm not so familiar with github and eclipse IDE, so I would like to ask some help.
Some of questions may be pretty obvious, but I have tried to solve them by myself and didn't succeed.

1) how can I create global folder for projects in Eclipse Project Explorer?
For examle, I want to make next tree:
eclipse_projects.jpg
eclipse_projects.jpg (11.25 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
(on screen at right there are folders of one project)

2) how can I build my github resource similar as here?

https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... r/examples

In this case I can easily separate projects and achieve better organization of files.

I would be thankful for any advices :roll:

chegewara

Re: Project organization in eclipse and github

Postby chegewara » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:34 pm

1) I dont know if it is possible to organize project the way you pictured, but you can have many workspaces. You can create workspace BASE and in it you can create every single project which you need

2) Very easy. It does not matter where do you have your project in file system. For example, you can create fithub repository which will be in BASE folder, then in this folder you can have as many as you wish subfolders and each subfolder will be separate project, like in esp-idf/example folder. Then you will import every single project to eclipse and work with it. When you are ready you can

Code: Select all

git add 
files you want to push into github, you dont need to push all edited files at once.

newsettler_AI

Re: Project organization in eclipse and github

Postby newsettler_AI » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 pm

chegewara wrote:For example, you can create fithub repository which will be in BASE folder, then in this folder you can have as many as you wish subfolders and each subfolder will be separate project, like in esp-idf/example folder. Then you will import every single project to eclipse and work with it. When you are ready you can

git add 
files you want to push into github, you dont need to push all edited files at once.
I'm trying to do this, but for now I decided to test with all project folder.
Right now I'm experimenting (more correct to say messing around :mrgreen: ) with github repo.

On my PC I have structure something like this:

ESP32/projects/
              /base/
                    /adc
                    /blink
             /sensors/
                      /pressure
                      /light
During tests I have placed git repo (I'm using TortoiseGit) at "ESP32/projects" folder:
folder1.JPG
folder1.JPG (12.06 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
folder2.JPG
folder2.JPG (10.03 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
After push requests everything looks correct on github website:
git1.JPG
git1.JPG (11.35 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Just wondering, should I create separate repos in each subfolder( "adc" , "blink" etc) instead? (Not sure, which way is correct)