RTC accuracy

Ritesh

Re: RTC accuracy

Postby Ritesh » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:48 pm

IrfanIslam wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:18 am
ESP32 accuracy on main power is very good but when in deep sleep on 3.7v battery the accuracy is worse in my case it's 162 seconds for 5 hours which is not acceptable, adding external hardware like DS3231 is not good idea when to keep project size compact, small and lower cost.
Hello,

Yes. Exactly which I have raised earlier before 2 years but didn;t get any positive feedback from Espressif Team with proper resolution as per requirements.

Let us know if you have any other solution for the same.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

PeterPan

Postby PeterPan » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:54 pm

I know this is an old post, but the to person who said they wanted better accuracy without the added product expense of a separate RTC, I'd like to point out thatDS3231 RTC modules with built in coin cells sell for less than $2 (USD), which is probably less than the cost of adding a crystal to the ESP32, and offers high accuracy of ±3.5ppm of accuracy over the industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C). That's less than 1/3 second/day. I was also reluctant to spend the extra money, but having the right time instantly on power-up provides a lot of benefits your customers will appreciate, without waiting for an ntp server time sync, or adding a continuous connection to the customer's router for internet access.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:36 am

PeterPan wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:54 pm
I know this is an old post, but the to person who said they wanted better accuracy without the added product expense of a separate RTC, I'd like to point out thatDS3231 RTC modules with built in coin cells sell for less than $2 (USD), which is probably less than the cost of adding a crystal to the ESP32, and offers high accuracy of ±3.5ppm of accuracy over the industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C). That's less than 1/3 second/day. I was also reluctant to spend the extra money, but having the right time instantly on power-up provides a lot of benefits your customers will appreciate, without waiting for an ntp server time sync, or adding a continuous connection to the customer's router for internet access.
Thanks Peter for providing updates with clarifications regarding RTC Support.

We will definitely check it from our end and will let you know if any further help is needed.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati