ESP32 roam behaviour

frackers

ESP32 roam behaviour

Postby frackers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 am

Is roaming (connecting to one of multiple Access Points with the same SSID) configurable for strongest signal or does it default to lowest channel number like the ESP8266.

Is this facility (if currently hard coded) accessible or is it buried in the closed RF code of the IDF? 'grep'ing through the IDF source tree doesn't look promising.

Experiments so far indicate that in STA mode the connection has to all but totally drop out before it looks for another AP and this compromises throughput, especially when 3-4 APs are being used to keep connectivity to 40-50 moving STA reliable.
Robin Down Under (or are you up over!)

frackers

Re: ESP32 roam behaviour

Postby frackers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:11 am

I'm astonished that nobody seems to know about a basic operation of the ESP32, or least admitting to knowing!

Guess I'll have to advise that we use another device for our next product (or stick with Lantronix who at least will talk to us).
Robin Down Under (or are you up over!)

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am

Fyi, the forums here are best-effort; if someone passes along who knows the answer, you may get a quick response; if the devs are all busy and no one else knows the answer, it may take longer or sometimes will be missed. If you're planning on making a product in any significant numbers, I suggest you talk to our sales team (email them at sales at espressif.com) directly.

markwj

Postby markwj » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:31 am

Maybe this is relevant:

https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/releases

Support for all-channel scan, which can find best AP out of APs with same SSID