Wemos Pro won't boot

clarkster

Wemos Pro won't boot

Postby clarkster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 am

I recently purchased a couple of Wemos Pro ESP32 Wifi development boards because they are skinny enough to fit on breadboards.

I have successfully flashed and booted code on several other makes of development boards (Espressif, Adafruit, but cannot get the new boards to boot. I have two new Wemos boards and both fail to boot in the same way.

I attempt to load the code using make flash monitor. Looking at the terminal, the code appears to be properly flashed up to the point where the device is hard booted. After that, only gibberish is written to the terminal.There is also a blue LED on the board that I assume is indicating UART XMT. It is on all the time when the gibberish is being written to the screen. It's a little like the boards are writing at the wrong baud rate.

Since both boards operate identically, I wonder if some configuration item needs to be changed.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?

I have also discovered this board is not mentioned on the Wemos web site. Is it likely this board is a counterfeit? Or is the Wemos website very out of date?

Clark

WiFive

Re: Wemos Pro won't boot

Postby WiFive » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 am

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:01 am

Check flash SPI clock speed in Wemos.

Gfast2

Postby Gfast2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:46 am

loboris

Postby loboris » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:53 am

clarkster

Postby clarkster » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:37 am

Thank you all for your help. This is a great forum. Espressif is a great company. And the ESP32 is an Arduino Killer....really that doesn't come close to explaining the features of the ESP32 compared to the Arduino, but it's all I could think of at this time.

As most of you said, I found the problem was the crystal clock rate. Setting it to 26 MHz fixed my problem...sometimes. I'm now having another problem...sometimes the serial port does not appear in /dev. Actually this happens quite often. Anyone got any ideas what is going wrong here? I'm developing on a late model MacBook Pro.

I am also happy that the board appears to be legitimate. Anyone have any idea where I can find a schematic of the board?

In the longer term, I plan to mostly use the Espressif PICO-KIT for development, assuming it works well, which I bet it does. I have two on order but they won't arrive here for a few weeks so until then I need to get the Wemos board working.

Again, thanks for your help!

Gfast2

Postby Gfast2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 am

I'm using ubuntu in a windows 10 hosted vritualbox. And each time after I start the virtualbox, I've to dealing with these issues either.

My solution is replug. It fixs my problem.