BLE smartphone app recommendation for debugging

vibnwis

BLE smartphone app recommendation for debugging

Postby vibnwis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 am

Hi all,
I am following the examples from Kolban's BLE server read/write code. However, I face a few issues when using nRF connect. It is somewhat different, it has different user interfaces, and certain functionalities are no longer exist. Hence, I tried to download other BLE smartphone app. However, none of those is useful.

I would like a simple app that allows user to write/read, notification, etc. Is there any out there?

Thank you
Lim

vibnwis

Re: BLE smartphone app recommendation for debugging

Postby vibnwis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 am

With nRF Connect, my iPhoneSE is not showing "Hello World". However, on Android, it is showing.

kolban

Postby kolban » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Unfortunately I don't own an iPhone and all my mobile testing is performed on Android. For BLE testing, Ive been using nRFConnect and (so far) have had no issues. I also do the majority of my development work on Linux (Ubuntu) running on Virtual Box on Windows 10. I have a Bluetooth dongle that passes through nicely to the Linux side of the house and from there can use the plethora of BLE tools available to the Linux environment. Primarily, I use "bluetoothctl" for a lot of low level testing. There is also "gatttool" which also serves me well. These are all command line based and aren't anywhere near as "pretty" as nRFConnect given the relationships between data ... however they do provide additional testing points.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

vibnwis

Postby vibnwis » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 am

Many thanks

rosigna

Postby rosigna » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 am

Hello,
on Android devices you can use BLEScanner.

It's a quite simple GUI but I was able to debug a full BLE project with write/read/notifications.

it shows all devices accessible via BLE, which are advertising, you can connect to your device, you can check services and characteristics present on the device, you can register to notifications (if available) on a certain characteristic, you can write hex or text data and so on.