ESP8266 VS ESP32 ARDUINO - Need help to find the right one for me.

lserpa

ESP8266 VS ESP32 ARDUINO - Need help to find the right one for me.

Postby lserpa » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 am

Hi.

I am looking for help on the topic (hope that is in the right spot).

I have done some little projects on the past with Arduino UNO. Projects with LEDs, temperature, SSD cards and real-time clock. All for getting some information along the day of the temperatures that it gets in my server room.

But, now, I want to get the info in real-time on my device. So IOT is the way, I think, and started to read about wifi on the Arduino.

Two chip's pop up. The ESP8266 and the ESP32. Try to see if it was something that I could get into and then started my problem.

Witch one to use? I want to keep with Arduino language for now. I am using PlaformIO for my projects. When I go to eBay to look for the chips I have some with Arduino but does say how to install and which board should I select. Other say LUA script that I don't know what implication has or if I can use it with Arduino too.

Another thing that I found on some pages, is that ESP32 V1.1 has bugs with Arduino.

So, I need some help here. which should I use for starting with IOT and MQTT? What should I have to look on eBay as a reference to avoid buying something that has no support or only gives problems?

P.S.: And yes I have google it but still very confused and I will much appreciate some light and links.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best, Serpa

Pibbotley

Re: ESP8266 VS ESP32 ARDUINO - Need help to find the right one for me.

Postby Pibbotley » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:54 am

I use both esp8266 and esp32 with arduino ide, and the support has matured over time. Now that esp32 arduino can be installed from the boards manager it is straightforward, but some libraries need to be manually installed. Esp32 has more features but more expensive than esp8266. Ignore lua for now, start with arduino ide to get going, then explore alternatives.

canada_eh

Re: ESP8266 VS ESP32 ARDUINO - Need help to find the right one for me.

Postby canada_eh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:38 pm

The ESP8266 has a ton of presence on the internet with lots of examples and how-tos. It's cheap and dead simple to setup a simple web server.

The drawback to the 8266 is it only has one ADC and no bluetooth.

The drawback to the ESP32 is there isn't nearly as much sample code available, but way more powerful!