Which is the Best Operating System for ESP 32

Subbu_N

Which is the Best Operating System for ESP 32

Postby Subbu_N » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:46 am

Hi,
Which is the Best Operating System to be used for ESP 32, is there any comparison between these OSs, As per my search ESP 32 supports following OS, On what parameter we should be selecting a OS?
Arduino IDE
Espressif IoT.
Espruino
Lua RTOS
Mongoose OS
Pymakr IDE
MicroPython
Zerynth

ESP_Sprite

Re: Which is the Best Operating System for ESP 32

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 am

As with most choices like this: It Depends. In this case, it mostly depends on your use case (do you need very fast speeds and ultra-efficient memory use? Do you have a small app and want to be able to do Rapid Application Development? What hardware features do you need? Are you going to have something that is going to be connected to a particular cloud?) as well as your experience (What languages are you familiar with? Do you want to switch languages to develop the ESP32 application?) and preference (what IDE do you like and are you comfortable with?)

Subbu_N

Postby Subbu_N » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:29 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your response, I was looking for these parameters for comparison and ratings for each parameter. Making our study bit more simple, can the below table filled based on these parameters and I have given a quick description for each parameter.

OS Name/ Parameter --> Memory | Development Speed | Hardware | Cloud | Languages | No of Ports | Display

Arduino IDE 

Espressif IoT.

Espruino 

Lua RTOS 

Mongoose OS 

Pymakr IDE

MicroPython

Zerynth

Rate from 1 to 5 --> 1 being very low and 5 being very high
Memory - Does the OS consume huge memory?
Development Speed - How much standard library it has? Does it need huge amount of custom code?
Hardware - Does it support all the Hardware peripherals and Ports?
Cloud - Does is work with AWS, Google, Microsoft Cloud?
Languages - Does it support Java, Python, C, C++
No of Ports - Does it support all interface provided in ESP32, does it allow to maximize the port utility
Display - Does it support standard displays does it need custom coding for different display.

Thanks in Advance...

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 am

FWIW: Someone can probably fill in this table, but as it takes a lot of research to figure this out for every OS out there, I'm not sure someone is just going to do this work for you. How about reading up on some of these SDKs and trying to fill in some details yourself?

Also, I'm not sure how useful such a matrix may be. For instance, some SDK may be somewhat of a memory hog, but if it provides all features you need in that memory footprint, it may be more efficient than some SDK which uses less memory but needs those features tacked on manually.

carlosmilon

Postby carlosmilon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 pm

I believe that any of these options will in the end, refer to the same ESP32 IDF drivers, and so, to the same FreeRTOS, but I may be wrong.

Resch2061

Postby Resch2061 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 am

I think Sprite has said they're working to make FreeRTOS an abstract layer, thus allowing you to use a different OS.

treii28

Postby treii28 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

I haven't played with all of those but have done some direct-to-firmware coding and tinkered with micropython doing most of my work in the Arduino IDE or platformio over the Arduino code-base.
Micropython seemed to have the capability to 'load' a program and run it from spiffs. Are there any other OS-like firmwares for espressif that have the ability to execute different code without actually re-writing firmware every time you want to do something different?

sighums

Postby sighums » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 am

OS Name/ Parameter --> Memory | Development Speed | Hardware | Cloud | Languages | No of Ports | Display

Arduino IDE 1 | 1 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 5 | 5

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:13 am

Sprite is right. It depends. Its all good until you run out of RAM or hit latency issues.
I use IDF/C++ because I can & I can because I have moderate volumes, moderate complexity, moderate throughput & so I can use ESP (with C++). Some use C/Asm & M2 etc because they must - they have high(er) volume (they do not get out as much though).
I do wish for Mongoose libraries but RAM/latency/commercial wise that would not work.
UPC/NRE thoughts aside - your characterisation sheet may well contain the odd loaded/logical fallacy; do your characteristics produce/lead to an end result? Your score sheet describes your selection criteria, not the problem, & I suspect that if you understood the problem you would know the answer.
In short it is hard to comment on suitability without a problem statement.
Post the problem (which actually is really hard to summarise) & I am sure that many will lend a hand.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.