PlatformIO thoughts?

jollytopper

PlatformIO thoughts?

Postby jollytopper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 am

I was referred to try using PlatformIO with VSCode to debug, but I recall seeing poor reviews of PlatformIO. Does anyone have experience they would like to share regarding using PlatformIO with ESP32?

mikemoy

Re: PlatformIO thoughts?

Postby mikemoy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

What would you like to know about it?
The best thing to do is try it yourself.

jollytopper

Postby jollytopper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 am

You're right. I have it downloaded. I'm going to try it myself.

chromebin

Postby chromebin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 pm

jollytopper wrote:You're right. I have it downloaded. I'm going to try it myself.
Many things are supposed to work, but don't, probably for supposedly trivial reasons. Sure I "tried" PlatformIO. But no joy. I tried because of VSCode, no joy. Maybe someone with more experience with both has more luck. In my experience only Arduino is consistent, but off of the main track. Eclipse is hit and miss, surprisingly (I thought I'd never say this) my favorite when things work (using the Visual Studio shortcuts theme), a lot of pain when they don't (...).

Sometimes with a tool you discover problems very late in the process. So asking around seems *wise* to me. All tools have problems, there is no clear winner and there pain everywhere. So sharing helps.

Snipesy

Postby Snipesy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I think if you are starting out or have a newish project you should go all in on the new CMake capabilities. That will make your project very easy to migrate between IDEs and CMake support is only going to make things better long term.

More importantly that lets you use CLion. Hint hint.