CAN interface ?

Rocketjosh

CAN interface ?

Postby Rocketjosh » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Does the ESP32 really have a CAN controller as shown in the upper right of this diagram?

http://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19&start=20#p113

If so, what pins would that be found on? I wasn't able to find any more information in the libraries or other documentation, but it would be pretty cool if this part had CAN peripheral! :geek:

icylon

Re: CAN interface ?

Postby icylon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:52 am

That would be interesting. Probably the CAN interfaces will require CAN transceivers. I am also searching for the details. I am currently using STM32F4 for CAN related projects.

Rocketjosh

Postby Rocketjosh » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:00 am

Agreed, an external CAN transceiver would be needed if there was a built-in controller. Any luck finding any more information on CAN availability?

ESP_Greg

Postby ESP_Greg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:22 am

Hey, guys, we are working on that.
Will release on next version SDK. Too many things on-going now. :P

dpharris

Postby dpharris » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:38 am

Yes, that will be very cool. Can you tell us the pinout and any information on the CAN controller?

David

dpharris

Postby dpharris » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:29 pm

Can someone confirm that the ESP32 actually has an integral CAN controller ... the documentation to date is not consistent -- while it is shown in some diagrams, the pinouts do not document it, and certainly there is not a CAN.h stub, even.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 am

dpharris wrote:Can someone confirm that the ESP32 actually has an integral CAN controller ... the documentation to date is not consistent -- while it is shown in some diagrams, the pinouts do not document it, and certainly there is not a CAN.h stub, even.
David,

we have ESP31, alias ESP32 beta, this are the boards that was given in beta programm
and we have the finally ESP32, just in time there are no finally ESP32 boards on market and comes with mass production Q2/16
( Q2/16 means: quartal 2 year 2016 means: [april, may, june] 2016 )

ESP31, alias ESP32 beta do not support just in time CAN,
finally ESP32 support CAN
and like Greg said,
ESP_Greg wrote:Hey, guys, we are working on that.
Will release on next version SDK. Too many things on-going now. :P

the work on CAN is just in time.

for your better understand
hope this helps. There are ESP31( ESP32 beta ) and ESP32 diagramms.
ESP31 support no CAN, where ESP32 support CAN.
( see GPIO 23, same, ESP31 have no ESP 23, ESP32 have GPIO23 )

think, the question will be detailed more:
Have we CAN as Controller, as Transceiver or have we CAN as Controller and Transceiver,
either or both later in ESP32.

and this is would be a more nice infos, what we have next time. i think normaly we can have both, but i am not sure.
perhabs Greg can answere this next time detailed.

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Clearly, with the CAN bus interface, the esp32 will be killer µC ! I already have some projects in my head with CAN needs...
It will probably need a CAN tranceiver (TI SN65HVD23x, MCP2562, ...) but that's all :)

dpharris

Postby dpharris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you Rudi.

To summarize:
* The ESP31 is a preliminary version (beta) for early adopters, and does not include CAN;
* The ESP32 will come out (2nd quarter 2016) and will contain a CAN controller +/- CAN-driver.

That's great, and I can also say that I will definitely be using it when it arrives. Having a built in driver is a bonus, but not required Having the driver separate may be an advantage, as sometimes they can get damaged, and separately gives the option to use an isolated driver, such as the ISO1050.

Can't wait. Thanks again.

David

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Still no reference to a CAN Bus controller on the new ESP32 page of ESPressif website.
I'm starting to wonder if it will effectively be there.