Getting Started with the ESP8266 ecosystem for beginners...

e-music

Getting Started with the ESP8266 ecosystem for beginners...

Postby e-music » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Hello guys,

I have got an ESP8266MOD module recently and I'm totally new to this family of SOCs. After doing a bit of research, I found that these devices are supported by dozens of communities and resources, however, this abundance of resources and materials sometimes makes it really confusing for starters.

In order to streamline the process and eliminate the confusion, I would really appreciate it if you can share a list of links where I can find all the relevant info to get up and running with the ESP8266MOD in the following sequence:

1- Basic info about the module, wiring with a uC, programming using USB to UART dongle

2- Basics about the firmware that comes pre-loaded with the module, how to use its features, TCP/IP/UDP stacks in different projects, and any other possibilities without the need to compile a custom firmware using the SDK.

3- Any reference projects/Application notes on using the ESP8266MOD as a Station to connect to a Wifi Router, download a new firmware image off a server (for the host uC and not the ESP8266MOD itself) and send it via USART/Ymodem protocol to the host uC in order to update its firmware.

4- Finally, the SDK. I'm familiar with Linux and I have Ubuntu 18.04 already installed on my PC, so I would like to skip using VirtualBox and just get the SDK that works on Ubuntu right out of the box, so please provide links for tools and resources under Linux.

For now, I'm designing the power supply circuit needed to power the ESP8266MOD and I would really appreciate any input until I'm done on it.

Thank you in advance!

ESP_Sprite

Re: Getting Started with the ESP8266 ecosystem for beginners...

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:29 am

Good luck with your endeavours, but note that this forum is specifically geared towards ESP32 users. You may be better off posting this to ESP8266-focused forums (or switching to the ESP32).

e-music

Re: Getting Started with the ESP8266 ecosystem for beginners...

Postby e-music » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you, and I'm sorry for posting my question here. I have got to the other forum that is dedicated to the device being concerned! You may remove this one if you are a moderator here.