why isn't ESP-ADF components in ESP-IDF

username

why isn't ESP-ADF components in ESP-IDF

Postby username » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:44 am

Just curious why there is ESP-IDF & ESP-ADF?
Why not just put the ADF components inside IDF components folder so there is just one release.

ESP_Angus

Re: why isn't ESP-ADF components in ESP-IDF

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi username,

There are a few reasons, but they include:
  • Not everyone needs ADF components, but IDF projects will build all the IDF components by default. Our long term plan is to move more non-essential high level components out of IDF, so IDF is just a "core" of commonly used components. (Before we do this we plan to introduce a "package manager" so it's easier to install new components into an IDF project.)
  • This way ADF can follow a separate development, test, and release schedule. If we released all of our code together in one big project, the release process would be much slower and more cumbersome.

PepeESP32

Postby PepeESP32 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:51 am

Hello,

although not everybody may not the ADF portion I thinke it would be easier if the other toolchains would come as one instead of chunks.

I was able to build IDF Problems with no problems but none of the ADF samples and 3rd Party code I was using compiled due to issues.
It would be so much easier when the development environments would come as one: set it up once, keep up to date and that's it.

With ADF, IDF and others being not beeing able to work with each other depending on versions is an issue that would also be solved.

Don't get me wrong I am neither a linus or firmware crack, but have a good Hardware background....

Thanks

Jakobsen

Postby Jakobsen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 pm

It think the path that your are on sounds good.
More releases of smaller parts the - few big releases.
From where you started to where we are today is a pleasure to see.

In my daily work I work with own and others components and would love to have a system to enable/disable features/components in a project. I think that part boils down to best practice and good code partitioning.

I am also more hardware then software - but learn a lot by reading code from Espressif and other skilled ESP programmers.

/j
Analog Digital IC designer / DevOps @ Merus Audio, Copenhagen, Denmark.
We do novel and best in class Audio amplifiers for consumer products.
Programmed assembler for C-64 back in 1980's, learned some electronics - hacking since then