4 channels output from ESP32

MRamone

4 channels output from ESP32

Postby MRamone » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:44 am

Hello,

I am a complete noob with ESP32, so please bear with me.

I understand that many ESP32 have 2 i2s that can be used simultaneously. I wonder if it is possible to get 4 channels of synchronized audio (final use is L+R speakers + two subwoofers). Ideally i would like to convert the two i2s output to two spdif going to two external stereo DACs. As you can imagine it is important that the two spdif signals share the same clock sync.

Has someone managed to do something like that or know of a source of information to achieve it?
4 channel interfaces with 2 spdif outputs are rare and expensive, if a ESP32 could do it, it would be great!!

Once solved, the next question would be how to process an incoming stereo signal to generate the 4 channels and apply the crossovers or alternatively to input (stream? via USB?) the 4 channels already processed. But that is another problem....

thanks a lot for any insight or clue.
M. Ramone

thefury

Re: 4 channels output from ESP32

Postby thefury » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:34 pm

I'm working on a 2.1 system too. I leaned on ESP-ADF, in particular the pipeline_a2dp_sink_and_hfp demo (minus the HFP). That was the starting point for my code.

I run the I2S pair as either master + slave, or both as slave (if generating the clock somewhere else). The driver doesn't sync things automatically, but some ESP32 GPIO magic allows WS and BCLK to reside on the same pins for both, and in my experience this allows the second I2S signal to be close enough to "at the same time" to work. (I'm using a single 8-ch out DAC, but in theory it should be the same for two stereo DACs)

I have some audio DSP code in another ADF audio element that I placed in the pipeline between the bluetooth service and the i2s_w. This is where I convert from 2 channels 16-bit signed int PCM input to 4 channels 32-bit float, do EQ biquads, crossovers, volume, etc. and turn the final results into 32-bit signed int PCM. (The DAC I'm using expects 24 bits, I just do 32 bits and it uses the first 24)

For the last part of the pipeline, I'm using a custom dual_i2s_stream.c that is based on ESP-ADF's i2s_stream.c, taking the combined audio data that the DSP code created and splitting it back out for writing to each of the i2s peripherals.

I did this already on an ESP32-S3 with a dual-4ch I2S pair to create an 8ch system, but have to wait a bit before I can test the dual-stereo config on ESP32. But it should work fine

MRamone

Re: 4 channels output from ESP32

Postby MRamone » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:02 am

Wow!
Thank you for your answer, that is exactly what I would like to achieve.
Do you have your project documented somewhere? I would be very interested in having a look at the details,
Thanks!