Need help setting up A2DP and HFP Bluetooth speaker with custom hardware on ESP32

Spiffkey

Need help setting up A2DP and HFP Bluetooth speaker with custom hardware on ESP32

Postby Spiffkey » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been struggling to set up an A2DP and HFP Bluetooth speaker using the Espressif example on my ESP32-WROOM-32. Despite using an ESP32 and an I2S DAC and mic, I haven't been able to make any progress. I'm using a pcm5102 for audio output and an INMP441 for input, both connected to the ESP32 I2S pins used in the example. However, I've hit a roadblock and get anything to work.

I've read the documentation and looked at other related issues regarding the use of custom hardware, but there doesn't seem to be a clear solution other than "write your own driver." Since I'm relatively new to working with ESP-ADF, I'm struggling to even know where to begin.

My main questions are:
1. Is it feasible to connect a separate microphone and DAC to the same I2S bus and utilize them for audio input and output, respectively?
2. How can I develop a simple driver to enable this functionality? Despite attempting methods from various online resources, I continually encounter errors, particularly with codec initialization failing consistently.

I had initially hoped that ESP ADF would be as straightforward to use as other libraries, but I'm finding the learning curve to be quite steep at this stage of my understanding. Any assistance or guidance would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!