Audio on Mesh (and use of esp-va-sdk)

dgillier

Audio on Mesh (and use of esp-va-sdk)

Postby dgillier » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to combine the Mesh protocol ESP32 MDF and the esp-va-sdk ?

Question 1 : is it possible to stream audio using Mesh ?
Question 2: is it possible to use the esp-va-sdk code and Espressif mesh wifi protocols ?

Thanks for your answers :)

Best, Denis

ESP_Amit

Re: Audio on Mesh (and use of esp-va-sdk)

Postby ESP_Amit » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm

That would require some exploration. :)
Can't say for sure right now if it would or wouldn't work.

Mutski

Postby Mutski » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:52 am

Hi. Just wondering if you answered this question? I'm also looking whether I can stream audio around several esp32s in a standalone mesh network.

ehabulhaq

Postby ehabulhaq » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi Guys,

Still looking if this question has been answered?

I am also looking to stream audio data over a wifi mesh network. usually a good quality audio stream has a throughput of around 1.2 Mbps.

And I assume the mesh network supports much greater throughput. theoretically it should work but I am also looking if someone has tried this? or if there are any examples available.

Thanks
Ehab

Mutski

Postby Mutski » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:16 pm

I didn't get very far, but its not my area of speciality either. I was only trying to send voice which is very low bandwidth.

iDrev89

Postby iDrev89 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:28 am

Hello.

I wish someone would help with this question, I also need to know if it is possible to stream audio using mesh? :?

ehabulhaq

Postby ehabulhaq » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 am

Hi All,

So finally to put down this question to rest. " is it possible to stream audio over esp mesh network?"

The answer is YES.

I was able to setup 2 nodes and one root. the root obtained a high quality audio stream ( 1.2 Mbps) from a tcp server and distributed it to all the nodes using multicast. All while playing music locally as well. I tested this on lyratd-dspg boards.

I created a custom mesh_stream service and used it esp_ADF audio element library.

Ehab

Mutski

Postby Mutski » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 am

Hi Ehab

Did you have much latency? I've always wanted to have a mesh intercom system around the house/yard/shed etc, including portable units I can carry around. - Matt

ehabulhaq

Postby ehabulhaq » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:46 am

no i didn't. the mesh network has a very high bandwidth in the order of > 10 Mbps. transmitting audio is very easy over the network.
but the thing is you will have to design your own flow control method. their apis are simple and transmits packet in sizes of 1456 bytes.
if you use the audio pipeline from esp-adf then have your mesh audio writer at the end of the pipeline and a receiver on the other device on the beginning of the pipeline. the data will be transferred so fast that it will overflow your receiving devices buffer.

Mutski

Postby Mutski » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 am

Thanks for the help. I suspect it's all too hard for my little brain. :)