ESP32-wroom-32 questions.

maciv4

ESP32-wroom-32 questions.

Postby maciv4 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:52 pm

I am having trouble getting started with this product.

I will be using a ESSP32-wroom-32D module. Someone else made this selection, I am trying to live with it. I have the following questions:
1. The recommend land pattern has a series of ground pads in the middle, with vias all around and in between. Is there a download for this land pattern for eagle?
2. What is the drill diameter for the vias?
3. Can the 9 pads be replaced with a single pad of the same size?
4. What is the recommended spacing between the module and other components, ie. a spectral diagram of the radiation pattern?
5. How far apart can other components be placed, vertically above the module? ( We will be using this module with other transceivers, and we want to reduce space.)

Please help I am up against a deadline.

ESP_Minatel

Re: ESP32-wroom-32 questions.

Postby ESP_Minatel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi,

We have the ESP32 Hardware Guideline to help you.

The recommendation is to add the nine small pads and cover the gaps with solder mask. Note that the EPAD is for thermal reasons and the vias should be placed out of the exposed copper area to avoid solder leakage during the re-flow process.
The use of the nine pads on the EPAD is not mandatory and you will see that most of the footprints available use just one. This recommendation is based on a series of factors, including the re-flow process, solder paste disposal, thermal characteristics, and may reflect the state of art.

There is no recommended via size. It's usually around 0,3mm.

You need to take into consideration the keep-out zone recommendation. You can see it in the HW Design Guidelines.