What is the Recommended IDE for ESP-IDF ?

DutchOrange

Re: What is the Recommended IDE for ESP-IDF ?

Postby DutchOrange » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:54 am

Jamawa wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:26 pm
Am I correct in understanding that you get all this by just starting Eclipse? If so, than something seems amiss with the Eclipse set of programs and plugins. I have never had this, so I can only guess here. Could other plugins perhaps cause conflicts?

If possible, I would like to suggest to do a clean install of Eclipse. Perhaps even deleting a few hidden directories with settings and plugins as well, prior to a install. I have had troublesome plugins which kept giving problems on a new install until I deleted those folders.

Are you running on windows, OS X or Linux?
This is a Windows machine, The Error only comes up when I try install the Tools, I shall try to reinstall in a new location. But it is using Java 11. I just wonder why its doing this ?
Is it possible that the tools are already installed (But there is nothing in the folder / installed tools )

DutchOrange

Postby DutchOrange » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 pm

So I have Re-installed Eclipse and Iam still having the Same Error, So Far they only thing I can think of is my Environmental Variables might be wrong ?

Jamawa

Postby Jamawa » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Persistent devil this one...

Ok, it might take the Java version from the previous install. Eclipse works in somewhat mysterious ways and stores several settings in hidden directories. One of them being “.eclipse” on a windows machine. If memory serves this is located in the user home directory,
On occasion with plug-in problems I have removed eclipse as well as this directory and then reinstalled eclipse. I am not sure if there are any other directories involved.

A short search on google suggests that the workspace directory should also be removed (or renamed if you want to keep it) and the new eclipse be started with the option “-clean”, either in a shell, or a edited shortcut to it.
I would really expect that after this if you follow the esp-idf instructions (as in install esp-idf itself and then install plugin followed by having the plug-in install the tools in the eclipse environment) that it would work. But then I never had these kind of problems.

I am guessing that if does not work, that something specific is going on with the plug-in. Maybe Espressif developers can help, possibly by studying logfiles. I think this is as far as I can help unfortunately....

DutchOrange

Postby DutchOrange » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Jamawa wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Ok, it might take the Java version from the previous install. Eclipse works in somewhat mysterious ways and stores several settings in hidden directories. One of them being “.eclipse” on a windows machine. If memory serves this is located in the user home directory,
On occasion with plug-in problems I have removed eclipse as well as this directory and then reinstalled eclipse. I am not sure if there are any other directories involved.

A short search on google suggests that the workspace directory should also be removed (or renamed if you want to keep it) and the new eclipse be started with the option “-clean”, either in a shell, or a edited shortcut to it.
I would really expect that after this if you follow the esp-idf instructions (as in install esp-idf itself and then install plugin followed by having the plug-in install the tools in the eclipse environment) that it would work. But then I never had these kind of problems.

I am guessing that if does not work, that something specific is going on with the plug-in. Maybe Espressif developers can help, possibly by studying logfiles. I think this is as far as I can help unfortunately....
Will Try it, But I have tried so many times that when I went into my system Environments (This is for VS Code attempt) And there where paths that went to folders that Don't Exist anymore. And what Is your Git Executable ? (I think I have the wrong one)

Joseph Brifman

Postby Joseph Brifman » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Jamawa wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Thanks a lot of great explanation...
I need some smart ideas on how to win the queen of the nile pokie this month. Guys, can you share such information with me? Your personal experience will be the best advice. Thanks a lot.

Jamawa

Postby Jamawa » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:45 am

I am not sure which git version I have, yet I would be very surprised if that would be the cause of it all, I do not believe that.
If this fresh install does not work, I am afraid that I am out of ideas...

ESP_kondalkolipaka

Postby ESP_kondalkolipaka » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:43 am

Could you please provide the error log https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclips ... #error-log

DutchOrange

Postby DutchOrange » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:53 pm

kondalkolipaka wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:43 am
Could you please provide the error log https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclips ... #error-log
I hope this is the Correct File, Iam on Windows so I hope this is Helpful.
But I think its the Git:

Code: Select all

!ENTRY com.espressif.idf.core 1 0 2020-12-13 21:21:05.094
!MESSAGE GIT path:null
and

Code: Select all

!ENTRY com.espressif.idf.core 1 0 2020-12-13 21:20:59.911
!MESSAGE idf_tools.py path doesn't exist
Attachments
.log
(263.94 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

Jamawa

Postby Jamawa » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Bit of a lengthy answer, I know, bear with me. ;)

Had a look at the logfile, and am noticing a few things.
I know it seems like GIT has a problem (the null path) yet my guess is that this Is not the blocking issue, but that GIT is asked to perform an action on a non-existing path. I am not entirely sure as it is an Espressif log message and I do not exactly know what it is meant to indicate, but still. I'll come back to this later.

The log suggests that there are a few paths where the espressif tools have been installed or are installed:
E:\Desktop\Arduino\ESPIDF\ESP32\esp-idf
E:\ESPRESSIF
Both directories are mentioned in (I think) path variables reported by espressif

The installer seems to conclude that E:\Desktop\Arduino\ESPIDF\ESP32\esp-idf is to be used as the log says:
IDF_PATH value:E:\Desktop\Arduino\Eclipse\Eclipse-EspIdf
It then tries to start the installer itself but that fails:
can't open file 'E:\Desktop\Arduino\Eclipse\Eclipse-EspIdf\tools\idf_tools.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

So from this, as well as you mentioning earlier that the environment has variables pointing to directories that no longer exist I am guessing that yes this is an issue. What I'd like to suggest is the following:
  • clean the environment
  • reinstall the esp-idf tools
  • verify correct installation of these tools
  • Verify Eclipses environment settings
  • Install Espressif plugin in Eclipse
clean the environment
Get rid of all the non-existing directories in the Windows-path and I'd like to suggest also all other espressif directories. I'd say reboot to make sure they are no longer active.

reinstall espressif esp-idf tools
I know that is not strictly needed for the Eclipse plugin, but this way we'll know that we'll have a working setup on the PC. Later we will select this setup in the Eclipse plugin.
Use the instructions from: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... -the-tools
The Windows installer should take care of everything, use the default directory locations

Verify correct installation
Follow the instructions at the page above.
We should now have a working command-line toolset of esp-idf
We will be using this in the Eclipse tools

Verify Eclipses environment settings
I'd like you to check the Eclipse environment settings which may be left over from previous attempts. You can find them at preferences->C/C++->Build->Environment
Either this window is empty, which is okay, the plugin will add the values, or there are paths here already. If so, it will be comparable to my OSX settings:
Pasted Graphic.png
Pasted Graphic.png (49.87 KiB) Viewed 8255 times
If there are values, verify/edit them so that they point to the new setup above. I suspect that you could also delete them and install the plugin but I never tried that.

Install the plugin
Follow the instructions at: https://github.com/espressif/idf-eclipse-plugin
I really hope that this part goes successfully now....
If so, have the plugin install the esp-idf toolset: Help->Download and Configure esp-idf
In the setup screen you'll be able to select an existing esp-idf directory; choose the one we just created.
Fill in any other fields as required.
This should now install correctly, I hope.

Somewhere in this process, git is asked to check out several branches of the downloaded tools. My guess is that the error message regarding the null-path is a result of this.The opening lines of the logfile state there is no HOME directory for Eclipse to use as default location for the eGIT settings (eGIT is Eclipse-GIT). So it just assumes one and warns that this may now lead to differing behaviour between the command-line GIT and eGIT (think .gitignore settings and suchlike). Even though this might surprise you at some point, I do not think this is an issue right now.
Unless you have no git on your system but the paths in the logfile suggest you do have git.

---

I can fully understand if you say that by now you're not going to follow up on all this, and yet, using a IDE is really worthwhile.
Good luck! :D

DutchOrange

Postby DutchOrange » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Oh Iam still trying
I Iam starting from Scratch removing Everything that is related of the ESP-IDF and Carefully following the Documentation, Thanks for your help.
I Shall be BACK.