Eclipse OpenOCD LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

GainesvilleGeek

Eclipse OpenOCD LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

Postby GainesvilleGeek » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 pm

I can flash ok. But I can't get the debugger to connect. I have eclipse on Windows10.

1. Open On-Chip Debugger  v0.10.0-esp32-20200709 (2020-07-09-08:54)
  2. Licensed under GNU GPL v2
  3. For bug reports, read
  4.     http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
  5. adapter speed: 20000 kHz
  7. Warn : Interface already configured, ignoring
  8. Info : Configured 2 cores
  9. Started by GNU MCU Eclipse
  10. Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections
  11. Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections
  12. Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
  13. Error: no device found
  14. Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6010, description '*', serial '*' at bus location '*'
  15. Error: no device found
  16. Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6014, description '*', serial '*' at bus location '*'
  18. Assertion failed!
  20. Program: C:\Users\ccliche\.espressif\tools\openocd-esp32\v0.10.0-esp32-20200709\openocd-esp32\bin\openocd.exe
  21. File: src/jtag/core.c, Line 343
  23. Expression: jtag_trst == 0

mschultz

Re: Eclipse OpenOCD LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

Postby mschultz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:20 pm

It may be the case (as it was for me) that Windows is not installing the right driver for the FTDI USB serial + JTAG bridge you are using.

What you want is for your FTDI device to appear (in the Windows Device Manager) as a "WinUSB device (Libusb - WinUSB)" under "libusb (WinUSB) devices".

Trying to change the driver using the standard device manager methods won't work, or at least it did not for me. What I wound up doing is getting a 3rd party tool, "USB Driver Tool" (or more fully, "USB driver installer for FTDI and Libusb drivers"). I downloaded this from:

https://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/

Or, if you don't trust that link, do a Google search for "libusb usb driver tool" and select the first search hit listed.

I won't go into a detailed step by step process on how to use this - it's fairly straightforward. The hardest part will be identifying the specific device you want to set up from the potentially dozens of ones listed as available for modification by this tool.

Once you've identified the device you need to modify, select the "Install Libusb - WinUSB" option - as I recall, you right-click on the device you want to modify to pull up the context menu for driver install selection.

Give this a try, and let me know if it works out for you.