Can Espressif IDE and VSCode be used on project concurrently

timboesp

Can Espressif IDE and VSCode be used on project concurrently

Postby timboesp » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:10 pm

We have been using vscode with esp-idf extensions for sometime. We have numerous projects that have been created and are in active development. Due to some strange issues with vscode and the delay getting them resolves, I thought I'd explore espressif ide.
However, I've hesitated since there are warnings about some tools needing to be updated, which raises some questions:
o can the espressif ide and vscode installations coexist and use the same installed esp-idf tools/libraries, i.e. ~/esp/esp-idf and ~/.espressif?
o should I have espressif ide install my esp-idf tools and libraries in a separate place?
o can I open my old esp-idf project with both ide environments and not corrupt for the other?
o any other advice if using both ide's for development?

Thanks for your respons...
esp-idf v4.4
ubuntu 22.04

DrMickeyLauer

Re: Can Espressif IDE and VSCode be used on project concurrently

Postby DrMickeyLauer » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:21 pm

I'm doing this. Moving forth and back between command line and IDE and it works pretty well. You can share ESP-IDF installations or use dedicated ones, whatever fits your needs.

timboesp

Postby timboesp » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:54 pm

DrMickeyLauer wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:21 pm
I'm doing this. Moving forth and back between command line and IDE and it works pretty well. You can share ESP-IDF installations or use dedicated ones, whatever fits your needs.
I appreciate your reply but I'm unsure what you are doing relates to my question. I have no doubt using either Espressif IDE AND commandline, or VSCode AND commandline work. I'm asking specifically about using Espressif IDE and VScode on same project(s)--No commandline.

thx

DrMickeyLauer

Postby DrMickeyLauer » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 pm

I‘m afraid I didn‘t understand the question then, since ESP-IDF runs as an extension in VSCode, it - of course - runs simultaneously.

Or do you mean something completely different with „Espressif IDE“?

timboesp

Postby timboesp » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:00 pm

DrMickeyLauer wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 pm
I‘m afraid I didn‘t understand the question then, since ESP-IDF runs as an extension in VSCode, it - of course - runs simultaneously.

Or do you mean something completely different with „Espressif IDE“?
Yes. As I stated in my original post:
timboesp wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:10 pm
...I thought I'd explore espressif ide.
However, I've hesitated since there are warnings about some tools needing to be updated, which raises some questions
These are two different IDEs, with two different install processes built around the espressif esp-idf library and tools.

Jorgen

Postby Jorgen » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:01 pm

I am using the Espressif IDE with framework 5.2. I find it convenient and efficient, but I get worried when I see the total lack of interest by the Espressif company in the question raised.

Espressif recommends the use of VSCode, and they hardly mention Espressif IDE in their documentation. Why is that?

Does anyone know whether Espressif will continue updating and make available the Espressif IDE?

Regards,
Jorgen

ESP_kondalkolipaka

Postby ESP_kondalkolipaka » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:24 am

Hi Jorgen,

I think many people switching between both IDE's(Eclipse and VSCode) and no major issues reported AFAIK, so you should be able to use both the IDE's concurrently as well. I think it was asked earlier here as well.

Espressif-IDE is also referred as ESP-IDF Eclipse Plugin in many places in our docs as it's based on Eclipse. I do agree with you, we will update our docs with Espressif-IDE instead of just Eclipse Plugin or ESP-IDF Eclipse Plugin.

If you see any issues, please let us know.

Thanks!

ESP_AndriiFilippov

Postby ESP_AndriiFilippov » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:04 pm

timboesp wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:10 pm
We have been using vscode with esp-idf extensions for sometime. We have numerous projects that have been created and are in active development. Due to some strange issues with vscode and the delay getting them resolves, I thought I'd explore espressif ide.
However, I've hesitated since there are warnings about some tools needing to be updated, which raises some questions:
o can the espressif ide and vscode installations coexist and use the same installed esp-idf tools/libraries, i.e. ~/esp/esp-idf and ~/.espressif?
o should I have espressif ide install my esp-idf tools and libraries in a separate place?
o can I open my old esp-idf project with both ide environments and not corrupt for the other?

Thanks for your respons...
esp-idf v4.4
ubuntu 22.04

Hello, Sir !

It's up to you. You can either share the ESP-IDF installations between IDEs or have separate installations for each IDE.

Yes

Yes, always back up your projects before attempting to open them in a different IDE to prevent POTENTIAL data loss or corruption.

On the side of the Espressif IDE, we have tested various scenarios related to your question. No critical errors were found. Furthermore, at this moment, we have not received any bug reports related to this topic.

If you see any issues, please let us know.
Thanks!