Stored SSID

amoghjain

Stored SSID

Postby amoghjain » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 am

Hello,

I am very impressed by Esp-Rainmaker's ability and had a question for which I cant quite find an answer yet/

Is there a way for Rainmaker to store multiple SSID's during/from provisioning and in case if this feature is unavailable, does it seem a feasable idea to cycle different SSID's from the app firmware that rainmaker tries to connect, in case, the current one is unavailable?

Thanks
Amogh

ESP_Piyush

Re: Stored SSID

Postby ESP_Piyush » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi Amogh,

This is technically feasible, but would require some custom logic built on top of ESP IDF's wifi and wifi provisioning layers. RainMaker in itself just uses these underlying components and does not add any additional logic to it. Since this is a good to have, but not very common requirement, we may not choose to do it right away. However, if this is indeed a requirement for you, you may file an enhancement request on GitHub. If this is some urgent requirement, we can even give some pointers as to how this can be done.

Regards,
Piyush

amoghjain

Postby amoghjain » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:49 am

Hi Piyush,

Thank you so much for such a fast and resonsive reply!

Our requirement is to allow multiple users/family members who dont have a common router but only cellphone based Hotspot's be able to connect the unit both online and offline, and for now we plan on advising them to create their hotspots and password with the same name as they used in pairing the device. We tested it today and it seems to work as long as other users have been added using the friends/family rainmaker account!

Would you recommend otherwise?

I will put the enhancement request on github too!

Thanks
Amogh

ESP_Piyush

Postby ESP_Piyush » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm

Hi Amogh,

I understand the use case, but this probably may not be the best solution for that. We also have plans to have BLE control in RainMaker so that we can support use cases wherein there may not be a router at home. Of course it may not solve the exact problem since in your case, if the device is connected to the appropriate hotspot, even Alexa control, remote control and state reporting to cloud can go on as long as any one hotspot is available, whereas in the BLE case, the control would be only via specific phones connected directly to the device over BLE. I will think further over this use case.

With regards to the actual feature request, I will also have to discuss this with the ESP IDF/Wi-Fi teams since RainMaker itself does not have any own logic of managing this. It uses the underlying ESP IDF components.

Regards,
Piyush