Future nice-to-have list for ESP-RainMaker

fasani

Future nice-to-have list for ESP-RainMaker

Postby fasani » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:14 am

Dear RainMaker Team.

It would be very nice to be able to add a more wide variety of UX elements such as:

- Push action buttons (Execute something once)
- Dropdowns (Select type, just simple one-item selection only)
- Maybe even a text area so it's possible to type something and we can read it from ESP32 Ex. URL to a file, and then we can download that image/text into a display
- Custom icons, that could be sent from ESP32 in some Form (Monochrome BITMAP or similar) I've seen that this has been partly addressed in another post, maybe the idea to send the icon as payload is bad though, just consider it.

There is a lot more possibilities to control stuff like this but it is going in a good direction and is already usable for many things like Home-automation.
epdiy collaborator | http://fasani.de Fan of Espressif MCUs and electronic design

ESP_Piyush

Re: Future nice-to-have list for ESP-RainMaker

Postby ESP_Piyush » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Hello,

Here are some comments on your feature requests/suggestions.
- Push action buttons (Execute something once)
Yes, this is a long pending item. Basically we are adding a button for a boolean param which will just send a value of true when tapped. No toggle. I guess this is what you are looking for, right?
- Dropdowns (Select type, just simple one-item selection only)
This is actually supported as esp.ui.dropdown. It supports numbers (with min/max/step provided) and for strings where the valid values are provided using esp_rmaker_param_add_valid_str_list(). Please give it a try and see if it suits your purpose.
- Maybe even a text area so it's possible to type something and we can read it from ESP32 Ex. URL to a file, and then we can download that image/text into a display
Not sure how this is any different than the current text field for "Name" parameter. Text field is actually the default if you have not specified the UI type. Can you elaborate?
Custom icons, that could be sent from ESP32 in some Form (Monochrome BITMAP or similar) I've seen that this has been partly addressed in another post, maybe the idea to send the icon as payload is bad though, just consider it.
This would be tricky. We will see what we can do for this.

John__

Postby John__ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:14 pm

- Custom icons, that could be sent from ESP32 in some Form (Monochrome BITMAP or similar) I've seen that this has been partly addressed in another post, maybe the idea to send the icon as payload is bad though, just consider it.
Perhaps we could specify a custom URL for each parameter that would download the appropriate (self-hosted?) icon?

fasani

Postby fasani » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Not sure how this is any different than the current text field for "Name" parameter. Text field is actually the default if you have not specified the UI type. Can you elaborate?
Interesting, I never see that, so this is already possible? Can someone point me to the right example?
I just want to be able to paste an url and the read it in the ESP32.
epdiy collaborator | http://fasani.de Fan of Espressif MCUs and electronic design

ESP_Piyush

Postby ESP_Piyush » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 am

Interesting, I never see that, so this is already possible? Can someone point me to the right example?
I just want to be able to paste an url and the read it in the ESP32.
As you can see here, esp.ui.text is the default and so, it is not part of any examples. That gets used automatically for the name parameter. if you do not specify any ui type for your "url" parameter, it will show up as a text box in the phone apps.

rmetzner49

Postby rmetzner49 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:49 pm

How about in addition to: esp_rmaker_get_local_time_str( Timestring, 150);

Could you include: uint32_1 Seconds_since_1970 (esp_rmaker_get_local_time_epoch( );

It would help when timing events without having to decode the Timestring.

fasani

Postby fasani » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:39 pm

I like the idea from Herr Metzner!

@ESP_Piyush would be really nice to get the phone datetime somehow so you can sync an RTC on board.

I will be trying this input forms soon since I'm building a small UX to control a device consumption for my project Bistable-smart-switch