OTA Timeout on Public Deployment

JoshNOA

OTA Timeout on Public Deployment

Postby JoshNOA » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi All,

We've been working on evaluating Rainmaker on a public deployment, but we've hit a bit of a snag.

We have around 30 devices online and remote, out in the wild so to say. We are doing test OTAs right now but we are struggling with the fact that they seem to be timing out?

I understand that you can set a validity window in time and date, but It seems to ignore that. Weve tried not setting a window, setting it to a year, setting it to a week. In each case the OTA never reaches the device if it comes online 2+ days after we sent out the OTA.

Does the feature work? Is there a default for this time window argument that wasnt properly communicated?

Its just a little unclear where the limits of OTA are, would love to have a doc that went into more detail then where to upload a bin file!

ESP_Piyush

Re: OTA Timeout on Public Deployment

Postby ESP_Piyush » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:32 pm

OTA validity is optional and handled on the node side. Does your use case indeed require the validity? Those are optional fields and if not set, the jobs will stay valid forever and finish only after nodes report either success or rejected.

JoshNOA

Postby JoshNOA » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:01 pm

Hi Piyush,

What you describe is the behaviour I expected from this setup. I will try my best to recreate the behaviour we are experiencing and see if i can get back to you with a more thorough report.

Best Wishes,

JC

JoshNOA

Postby JoshNOA » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:02 pm

Hi Piyush,

Happy Monday!

I have some data that can hopefully help on your investigations, I have an OTA job, started 4.5 days ago, under the Job ID: 4JpNetSWkEcE9MPpwNuPgF ( I hope you can access this ). One of the nodes assigned to job was not online at the point of submission, and has since come online. It has not taken nor rejected the OTA, and now we have to restart the OTA job to reach it!

The Node is under the nodeID: cpjuLGJyXfKkEy5DdkKfg8

I have currently experienced this with every test OTA we have worked on.

Best Wishes,
JC

ESP_Piyush

Postby ESP_Piyush » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:49 pm

Hello, sorry for the delay, but I could indeed reproduce this issue and the team has identified the root cause. This will be fixed shortly.

JoshNOA

Postby JoshNOA » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:30 pm

Hi Piyush,

No worries for the delay, I can see you are a busy chap!

Great news that the root cause has been ID'd, will standby for new rainmaker updates in the coming weeks!

Best Wishes,

Joshua C

ESP_Piyush

Postby ESP_Piyush » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:40 pm

A fix for this issue has been pushed out to public RainMaker. Please give it a shot.

JoshNOA

Postby JoshNOA » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:30 am

Hi Piyush,

Thats great to hear! I will generate a few test OTAs and get back to you.

Unfortunately it might have to wait until next week as I am out the office tomorrow!

Best Wishes,

Josh C