Insights Variable Upload Examples

JoshNOA

Insights Variable Upload Examples

Postby JoshNOA » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:07 pm

Hi All,

I have a few questions about Insights, posting variables and then what timeseries provides as an additional component.

Firstly:
I would like to pass some additional variables up to insights, such that I can continue to use the insights dashboard as the source of truth for the devices. I would like to initially post 2 ints and a timestamp on an event firing.

Whilst I was capable of finding the inner heap and wifi diagnostic source files, I wasnt capable of finding any straight forward examples of posting to Insights.

Thus far I am working under the following assumptions:
1. Variable Init must come first
2. Variable Register is just associating a named tag with an initialised variable.
3. Variable add int (or any other DS') is what actually pushes the data up to insights.

Any clarification on the above, or even examples, would be highly appreciated.

Lastly:
What exactly does the timeseries addon for Rainmaker provide? I assume it allows me to push arbitrary data to AWS, and then serve that data from AWS to a user app on demand? Given that will involve work on AWS, I was wondering how this would be configured? Again, any small example here would be a great help!

Best Wishes,

Josh C

ESP_Piyush

Re: Insights Variable Upload Examples

Postby ESP_Piyush » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:32 pm

Hi Josh,

For the usage instructions for Insights, have you checked the docs here?

The time series functionality in RainMaker is geared towards end user use cases and aggregations are restricted to the the specific parameter for the specific device. This can be enabled in firmware by simply adding the PROP_FLAG_TIME_SERIES while defining a parameter. Metrics in Insights are meant for admin use cases and can be searched/filtered across the fleet. The AWS services used by both are quite different, the time series being completely serverless. For both of these features, nothing specific is required to be done on AWS side apart from deploying the stacks and following the respective deployment guides.