Does anyone use ESP32 for embedded development under Yocto Linux u-boot?

jupiter

Does anyone use ESP32 for embedded development under Yocto Linux u-boot?

Postby jupiter » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:15 am

Sorry, new to ESP32 and looking for a MCU for embedded system development.

Is the ESP32 mature for embedded system using Yocto Linux u-boot development ecosystem?

Appreciate insider's advice.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- j

ESP_Sprite

Re: Does anyone use ESP32 for embedded development under Yocto Linux u-boot?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 am

Not sure what you mean... do you want to run Yocto/u-boot on an ESP32? If so, no, it does not support that.

jupiter

Postby jupiter » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:53 am

> Not sure what you mean... do you want to run Yocto/u-boot on an ESP32? If so, no, it does not support that.

To build ESP32 image and u-boot from Yocto so that ESP32 can boot from u-boot and Linux So if I understand it correct, as of today that ESP32 main support is RTOS, it cannot run Linux it cannot boot using u-boot or other bootloader, correct?

Any chance will Espressif support Yocto, Linux and u-boot in the future?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- j

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:56 pm

The ESP32 does not have a large amount of memory (even with psram) for a Linux system. It's also lacking the MMU needed for full-blown Linux. As such, a Linux system would be pretty limited on the ESP32 chips, and as such it's unlikely we'll port it over.

jupiter

Postby jupiter » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:45 am

> The ESP32 does not have a large amount of memory (even with psram) for a Linux system. It's also lacking the MMU needed for
> full-blown Linux. As such, a Linux system would be pretty limited on the ESP32 chips, and as such it's unlikely we'll port it over.

With all respect that makes your company like an amateur, if you are serous and ambitious to be a global player for entering embedded system arena, please consider develop more superior MCU at least like NXP iMX6 that should not be so hard, will you? Please talk to your senior management, I really wish you can be a world class prestigious brand, like Huawei, SMIC, CATL, BYD...

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:05 am

I am sorry to hear you feel that way. You have our sincerest apologies if we have given the impression we are in the wrong market segment. I will certainly make sure to communicate with senior management, and I'm sure they are aware that we are not in the same league as the companies you mentioned.

jupiter

Postby jupiter » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:43 am

Please don't feel my comments negatively. We have many investors who are Chinese diasporas required to use MCU and other components made in China hence we want to use your MCU, unfortunately we have to disappoint them. But our door is still open to you if you are going to make high capacity MCU capable of running Linux. We are happy to help you to explain why Linux is a main embedded system OS in EU and US, what is the current trends of embedded system ecosystem, you are welcome to contact me privately if you want.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jupiter