esp_modem: unsolicited response, URC

timboesp

esp_modem: unsolicited response, URC

Postby timboesp » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:45 pm

Hi,
I'm working on a ESP32 esp-idf project that integrates with a SIM7600 modem. I need to be able to send and receive SMS text messages and I have setup CMUX based on examples. However, there is one concept I have not been able to figure out--how can I get notified of late AT command responses, e.g. followup response to sending SMS text. The modem takes time to respond or I want to know when a SMS text is received.

I've searched far and wide for the right terminology but think it's related to URC, but have not found anything clear and helpful. I've read through esp protocol github issues and now believe that "URC" is what I need but I can't find any documentation.

Questions:

- is there a way to receive asynchronous notification (e.g. via callback) for any or specific unsolicited, i.e. async, events from AT commands?
- Is URC the answer and if so how can I use them--where's the documentation for URC use?

Thank you for your help in advance.

doragasu

Re: esp_modem: unsolicited response, URC

Postby doragasu » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:35 pm

A bit late but today I was wondering the same. It looks like it is possible but not trivial, it involves creating a custom DCE, here is a patch that incorporates it to the console example: https://github.com/espressif/esp-protoc ... 660991194c