"right" way to override _xt_nmi in IDF?

cnlohr

"right" way to override _xt_nmi in IDF?

Postby cnlohr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 am

I can't seem to get XCHAL_HAVE_NMI to be set in xtensa_vectors.S... Or at least get it to build on my system. I also have to admit, double-jumping in the NMI to get to my code is less than ideal.

I've added

Code: Select all

CFLAGS+=-DXT_INTEXC_HOOKS
to my makefile and/or component.mk to no avail.

Also tried making a object-specific rule. No dice.

My compile line for that file remains:

xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc -DESP_PLATFORM -D IDF_VER=\"v2.0-rc1-956-g81f98c0\" -MMD -MP    -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/freertos/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/freertos/include/freertos -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/app_update/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/bootloader_support/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/bt/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/coap/port/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/coap/port/include/coap -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/coap/libcoap/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/coap/libcoap/include/coap -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/cxx/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/driver/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/esp32/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/ethernet/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/expat/port/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/expat/include/expat -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/fatfs/src -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/jsmn/include/ -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/json/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/json/port/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/log/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/lwip/include/lwip -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/lwip/include/lwip/port -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/lwip/include/lwip/posix -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/lwip/apps/ping -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/mbedtls/port/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/mbedtls/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/mdns/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/micro-ecc/micro-ecc -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/newlib/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/newlib/platform_include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/nghttp/port/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/nghttp/nghttp2/lib/includes -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/nvs_flash/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/openssl/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/sdmmc/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/soc/esp32/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/spi_flash/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/tcpip_adapter/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/ulp/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/vfs/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/wear_levelling/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/wpa_supplicant/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/wpa_supplicant/port/include -I /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/xtensa-debug-module/include -I /home/cnlohr/git/esp32-cnlohr-demo/main/include -I /home/cnlohr/git/esp32-cnlohr-demo/build/include  -I. -c /home/cnlohr/esp/esp-idf/components/freertos/./xtensa_vectors.S -o xtensa_vectors.o
What is the recommended mechanism for enabling features that are enabled by preprocesor directives? from within the IDF platform?

cnlohr

Re: "right" way to override _xt_nmi in IDF?

Postby cnlohr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 am

So I can seem to add flags to the command by adding

CPPFLAGS += -DXT_INTEXC_HOOKS -DXCHAL_HAVE_NMI
Feels kinda dirty.

P.S.

make -n 

shows you what would be executed.

cnlohr

Postby cnlohr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am

Ok, I got NMI interrupts firing, but I had to edit xtensa_vectors.S.

I added a preprocessor flag to allow the user code to override all vector code. I couldn't get the _xt_intexc_hooks bits to actually work. Not sure why yet. Is there a reason why we can't just have our own vectors and everything is hidden behind vector code in xtensa_vectors.S? EDIT: It works now, no idea why.

Charles

My code with extra details is as follows:

GPIO.func_out_sel_cfg[16].func_sel = 256;
	WRITE_PERI_REG( DR_REG_IO_MUX_BASE +0x4c,  0xa00 ); //GPIO 16 GPIO.

GPIO.enable_w1ts = 1<<17;
	GPIO.enable_w1ts = 1<<16;

/* !!!! IMPORTANT BITS HERE !!!! */
	GPIO.pin[0].int_ena = GPIO_PRO_CPU_NMI_INTR_ENA; ///Why can't I set the app CPU?
	GPIO.pin[0].int_type = 3; //Level-change trigger.

_xt_intexc_hooks[XCHAL_NMILEVEL] = &_my_xt_nmi; //Seems to work now?

#define ETS_GPIO_INUM 14 //Actually NMI vector.
	intr_matrix_set( 0, ETS_GPIO_NMI_SOURCE, ETS_GPIO_INUM );
	ESP_INTR_ENABLE( ETS_GPIO_INUM );
	/* !!!! DONE IMPORTANT BITS !!!! */

GPIO.out_w1ts = 1<<16;
	GPIO.out_w1tc = 1<<16;
	GPIO.out_w1ts = 1<<16;
	GPIO.out_w1tc = 1<<16;

while(1)
	{
		GPIO.out_w1ts = 1<<17;
		GPIO.out_w1tc = 1<<17;
}

cnlohr

Postby cnlohr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 am

So summarizing:

Am I doing it right?

Question 2: Someone mentioned not having the stack? That's OK! But it seems the stack is OK in the NMI ISR. Are there corner cases where A1 is not to be trusted?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 am

Hm, sounds like a bug, the way I designed the hooks should allow the NMI to be overridden. Will look at it.
EDIT: I see that you're messing with the interrupt in a very manual way. Please use the interrupt allocator instead; you shouldn't have to mess with C flags instead. (Note: Untested - will see if I can give it a go when I'm at the office.)

The higher-priority interrupts can, if I recall correctly, be called during a window overflow or underflow exception, while that exception is spilling the window and has a messed-up A1. I don't know the exact details, but I do know we ran into issues with that.

cnlohr

Postby cnlohr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:42 am

I still think for things like the NMI I should be able to override it, though I do have it working with the _xt_intexc_hooks mechanism now.

Regarding A1: OK! That's just fine. I will have access to a safe buffer when I interrupt anyway.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 am

Ah crap, I see now that my high-prio int hook code hasn't made it into esp-idf yet... will give the MR a kick. That'll probably shave a few extra cycles off your NMI handler.