disable brownout detection

ilpaso

disable brownout detection

Postby ilpaso » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 am

Hi,
I'm trying to power the ESP32 through 2 AA batteries and a boost ic. I'm trying the wifi scan example.
It works well when the batteries are full but after the voltage is always at 3.3V (after the boost IC) but ESP32 goes in brownout.
I'd like to disable the brownout detection but if I disable it in menuconfig the brownout detection persists.
How can I solve this issue?
Is there a "soft start" setting in order to decrease the current at boot?

Thank you
Regards

Davide

Lucas.Hutchinson

Re: disable brownout detection

Postby Lucas.Hutchinson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Have you tried running a make erase_flash, then re-flashing the firmware onto the esp32?

ilpaso

Postby ilpaso » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Thank you Lucas for your reply,
I've tried to erase_flash and resend the firmware to the module but brownout is not disabled.

Regards
Davide

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 am

Hm, that sounds like a bug. Would you mind filing that as an issue on Github?

Wrt your specific problem: I'm not sure if disabling the brownout detector is what you want here. Usually, if the brownout detector is disabled in situations like this, you instead get an ESP32 that crashes horribly. Maybe you're better off getting a more powerful boost converter (we advise a power supply that can deliver at least 500mA) or as a hack add a bunch of capacitance to the 3.3V line.

Wrt 'soft start': We are actually thinking of something like that, but I'm not sure if and how soon it'll end up in esp-idf.