Using c++ for ESP32 develpment with ESP-IDF, PlatformIO

rwel59

Using c++ for ESP32 develpment with ESP-IDF, PlatformIO

Postby rwel59 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Been searching this topic for awhile without luck so if there are already answers somewhere, I'd be happy to follow someone's link.

Just started with ESP32 dev. Have esp8266 code (arduino framework) developed using VS Code with PlatformIO extension that I am trying to migrate to ESP32. I have selected to use the ESP-IDF framework (rather than arduino) because it seems like I will have access to more functionality in a faster timeframe. I started working c++ code but had issues with including standard c++ libraries (PlatformIO seems to overwrite c_cpp_properties.json every time VS Code is started). I found a couple of snippets that said this is intended function and that the json should not be modifiable. So, because of this and a bunch of googling, I am beginning to wonder if this combination will work.

Could someone please provide some feedback on this subject? Can I use c++ with ESP-IDF? Is so, do I need a different environment than what I have described? Or can someone give me pointers on how to set up so I can move forward?

Lucas.Hutchinson

Re: Using c++ for ESP32 develpment with ESP-IDF, PlatformIO

Postby Lucas.Hutchinson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 pm

@Nkolban has been working with c++ on the esp32 for quite some time.

I think he has some guides about setting up the esp32 for c++ development. There is probably some good guides in his book.
This is his github where you might be able to find some more information:
https://github.com/nkolban/esp32-snippets

rwel59

Re: Using c++ for ESP32 develpment with ESP-IDF, PlatformIO

Postby rwel59 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm

thanks, I've been looking at his work. Haven't found anything that addresses this. I'm guessing it has more to do with Platform IO than anything else. It doesn't seem like @Nkolban has worked in the VS Code/Platform IO environment, or I haven't found anything that pertains to that specifically in his stuff.

Either that or I'm missing something with the Platform IO configuration - have posted the issue to that forum also.