External power supply for ESP32 DevKit V1

VanVince

External power supply for ESP32 DevKit V1

Postby VanVince » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello to everyone,

I want to use my ESP32 DevKit v1 with an Adafruit Powerboost1000C (inlcuding a 3.7V LiPO battery) to power up my project. I would like to know if is it possible to connect the 5V output from the powerboost to the ESP32 VIN pin. Is it possible? I don't want to fry anything LOL :D

In other word which is the input voltage of VIN pin?

Best regards,
Vincenzo Cristiano

ESP_krzychb

Re: External power supply for ESP32 DevKit V1

Postby ESP_krzychb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 am

VanVince wrote:In other word which is the input voltage of VIN pin?
Hi Vincenzo,

According to DOIT Esp32 DevKit v1 documentation the recommended external input voltage range is from 7 to 12V.

VanVince

Postby VanVince » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:57 am

According to DOIT Esp32 DevKit v1 documentation the recommended external input voltage range is from 7 to 12V.
Hi krzychb, Thank you for your reply.
So in my case is not possible to power up my project, right? What should I do?

Best regards,
Vincenzo Cristiano

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Just try it, it will probably work fine on stable 5v

pbrandst

Postby pbrandst » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi,

have you tried with a stable 5V, I did and it doesn't really work, it runs the setup function (I am using arduino as programming IDE) and then resets and again runs setup in an infinite loop,

regards,

Peter

VanVince

Postby VanVince » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 am

pbrandst wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm
Hi,

have you tried with a stable 5V, I did and it doesn't really work, it runs the setup function (I am using arduino as programming IDE) and then resets and again runs setup in an infinite loop,

regards,

Peter
Hi Peter,

yes, I tried and works fine. I ran a simple project with an external 2.4inch Nextion display.

regards,

Vincenzo

fpovoski@outlook.com

Postby fpovoski@outlook.com » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:10 pm

The cause of this problem appears that some ESP32 boards the USB chip is not powered from the Vin (VDD5V) pin (19) but from the VDDUSB with a diode between. This is unlike the ESP8266 boards which are the opposite and is correct to enable the USB chip to be powered at 5v whether plugged into the USB or powered solely by the 5v input pin. It would then cause DTR and RTS to be in an indeterminate voltage affecting EN and IO0 throwing the ESP into a reboot when the higher current surge happens during WIFI communication pulls the rail down. IT happens on an older Makerfocus ESP32 but I will try another ESP32 board to see if occurs there. Maybe its been fixed in newer boards, nevertheless, I use 8266s powered from the Vin pin all the time with no problems. Turn the D1 diode around or jumper it.

bhaudipmehta

Postby bhaudipmehta » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:58 am

Hello , I don't know the exact problem about Vin 5v INPUT but i have workaround that works well. Just convert your external power supply output pin into USB and plug into the board. It works well with me.
Hope it will help your out.

merkelck

Postby merkelck » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:25 am

I am having a similar problem with several different manufacturers boards. They work fine with the USB cable connected, after loading the code and switching to external power, the sketch will not run. For me this has been a recent problem. I have one esp32 running a set of led lights that is controlled by a sonoff switch on a daily schedule with 5volts as power. It runs fine but I can no longer communicate with it via the wifi. I can't even ping it anymore. I routinely use the wifi for OTA to periodically change the lighting sequence. But I also have several more boards here that I had planned to replace that unit but I can't get any of them to work with five volts connected to the 5v/GND pins.
Any and all ideas appreciated
KentM

BlackSeaSailor

Postby BlackSeaSailor » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:27 am

Hi there,

I recently faced the same issues while trying to power DevKit V1 board with a 5V external power supply.
The problem can be solved by providing a stable 5V power or better a psu from 7 to 12V.

If you insist to use 5V's
Simply add a 470uF16V or larger rated electrolitic capacitor between the VCC and Ground (near) pins of your board.
A tantalum 47uF16V will also be great.

The dead looking will come back alive :D

Don't forget to make the right connections of these capacitors according their polarities. !!

Cheers