ESP32 Wi-Fi in AP mode and BLE scanning

thecashit

ESP32 Wi-Fi in AP mode and BLE scanning

Postby thecashit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Hello.

I am developing an application in which BLE and Wi-Fi should be used at the same time.

When the device starts, if it does not detect access points for connection, it enters the configuration mode. In this mode, ESP32 creates a Wi-Fi access point and starts a BLE scan to search for nearby devices from which it can receive Wi-Fi settings.

The user can either connect to the created Wi-Fi access point and set up access via the HTTP Rest API, or the device finds nearby other BLE devices and receives data about the Wi-Fi network from them.

When simultaneously running Wi-Fi in client mode and BLE scanning - everything is ok.

As soon as Wi-Fi is simultaneously launched in the access point mode and BLE scanning, the connection to Wi-Fi is extremely unstable (it can take up to 30 seconds to connect to ESP32 over Wi-Fi + periodically disappears after connecting).

Current BLE scan options:
interval: 1000ms
window: 50ms
mode: active (tried passive - the same)

Software Coexistence mode is enabled (tried both balanced mode and priority in the direction of Wi-Fi).

IDF Version 3.1.1

It is possible that someone has already come across this. How to achieve simultaneous operation of Wi-Fi in the access point mode and get stable operation with BLE scanning? I suspect that the problem is in the scan settings.

Thnx.

ESP_Tianhao

Re: ESP32 Wi-Fi in AP mode and BLE scanning

Postby ESP_Tianhao » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 am

thecashit wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm
Hello.

I am developing an application in which BLE and Wi-Fi should be used at the same time.

When the device starts, if it does not detect access points for connection, it enters the configuration mode. In this mode, ESP32 creates a Wi-Fi access point and starts a BLE scan to search for nearby devices from which it can receive Wi-Fi settings.

The user can either connect to the created Wi-Fi access point and set up access via the HTTP Rest API, or the device finds nearby other BLE devices and receives data about the Wi-Fi network from them.

When simultaneously running Wi-Fi in client mode and BLE scanning - everything is ok.

As soon as Wi-Fi is simultaneously launched in the access point mode and BLE scanning, the connection to Wi-Fi is extremely unstable (it can take up to 30 seconds to connect to ESP32 over Wi-Fi + periodically disappears after connecting).

Current BLE scan options:
interval: 1000ms
window: 50ms
mode: active (tried passive - the same)

Software Coexistence mode is enabled (tried both balanced mode and priority in the direction of Wi-Fi).

IDF Version 3.1.1

It is possible that someone has already come across this. How to achieve simultaneous operation of Wi-Fi in the access point mode and get stable operation with BLE scanning? I suspect that the problem is in the scan settings.

Thnx.
Hi, thecashit,
As far as now, ESP32 don't support WiFi Softap mode and BLE/BR/EDR coexistence. I have mentioned in "viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6707&start=30", please take a look, thanks.
We plan to support softap and bluetooth coexistence recently, but the final support result depend on the testing result.

thecashit

Re: ESP32 Wi-Fi in AP mode and BLE scanning

Postby thecashit » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 am

ESP_Tianhao wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 am
Hi, thecashit,
As far as now, ESP32 don't support WiFi Softap mode and BLE/BR/EDR coexistence. I have mentioned in "viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6707&start=30", please take a look, thanks.
We plan to support softap and bluetooth coexistence recently, but the final support result depend on the testing result.
Hi, Mr. Tianhao,
If i understand correctly - i can't achieve even software coex mode is swithched off?
Can you please also suggest in which version of IDF this feature can be enabled?
Because it is very important for us.

Tnhx.