Forum search broken?

jabakobob

Forum search broken?

Postby jabakobob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 am

Does anybody have suggestions how to use the search on this forum? For example, I tried to find information on the ADC, and I got the error message: "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: adc."

I really don't want to post a question that has been answered before, so it would be really nice if the search worked better!

WiFive

Re: Forum search broken?

Postby WiFive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 am

Forum built in indexing/searching seems to be lacking in a lot of sites.

Try: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aesp32.com+adc

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am

It's not broken per se, but phpbb by default doesn't allow searching for words of three characters or less. I'll see if I can change it, but I think I'll need to poke our sysadmin for that...

kolban

Postby kolban » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:28 pm

It *may* be possible to provide a white list of key words that are smaller than the cutoff that might still be included in the searches. Examples might be:

* ADC
* TCP
* RMT
* PIN
* etc etc

Purely a guess.

Failing that, we may be able to employ an external indexer given that there shouldn't be anything classified in the public forums, we could enable a webhook to provide the contents of posts to an external service that could be consulted for searching. I have seen project do something similar with Apache Lucene but that was home baked and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a commercial alternative ... maybe using Google services as an indexer.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32