esp32-wrover-kit - wifi AP not showing up

imtiaz

esp32-wrover-kit - wifi AP not showing up

Postby imtiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:32 am

Hi ,

I have just got the new dev kit with LCD esp32_wrover-kit. I can load code onto it which starts an AP , however the AP does not show up. The exact same code works on the previous dev kit with the same module on.

Any ideas if I need to change anything for Wifi to work.

Thanks
Imtiaz

imtiaz

Re: esp32-wrover-kit - wifi AP not showing up

Postby imtiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 am

Just to ad to that the debug output shows everything is OK and the AP has been started

imtiaz

Postby imtiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:02 pm

To answer my own question :

It seems the kit is faulty - no wifi signal . Luckily we got two and the other one works.

Thanks
Imtiaz

imtiaz

Postby imtiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Also the reset pin seem to work on any of these new modules - is this a known issue?

exquisitus

Postby exquisitus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:14 am

no wifi out of the box! i see the screen demo, snake, fake calc, fake thermometer.
have not uploaded anything. also while i am getting two com ports com9 and com10, none of them works using the settings from the doc.
is this defective board or what?

RobinC

Postby RobinC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:37 pm

The wrover uses an ftdi USB chip that provides two serial ports, one for jtag and one for console. On linux, the jtag shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 and the console shows up as /dev/ttyUSB1 (assuming you don't have any other USB serial devices attached). If you connect minicom to ttyUSB0, your reset button won't work since it is in jtag mode. To get to the standard console port, connect to ttyUSB1 and you will have normal console I/O and the reset button will work.

This doesn't address the wifi issue but should help to get to the point of testing.

RobinC

Postby RobinC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:00 pm

The first com port is jtag and the second is the console port which should function at 115200 8N1. Make sure to turn off hardware flow control in your com program. Also, if you connect to the first jtag port, some of the features won't work like the buttons and reset.

exquisitus

Postby exquisitus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:57 pm

robinc, i appreciate you wanting to help, but i already knew that. and that does not work. weird, but true.

what's really bugging me is that i paid $80 for a piece of garbage, and considering i live far below the poverty level that's quite a significant amount for the what i got... so yes i am angry... can't afford to get another one.

i was waiting for someone from espressif to say something useful here and that did not happen.

so let's try this again.

hey espressif people,

is there anything i can do, try to burn a blank file (provided where?) using the tool v 3.4.4 and then some other testing firmware to try to reach a somewhat working condition? anything? because what i have now is not what i should for sure.

or would you send me a non-defective one for free?

btw, there is a letter on the wroom-32 module written with a marker, either W or M and the bag the board wa sin looked weirdly worn. did you ship defective units to adafruit from where i got mine from, knowingly? at this point even that seems quite plausible to me.

exquisitus

Postby exquisitus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:47 pm

this is even crappier than i thought. external 5v does not work either.
got a checked working 5v supply. put the jumper on 5v external according to documentation and.... nothing.