Some questions about ESP32...

AlexESP32

Some questions about ESP32...

Postby AlexESP32 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello guys ;)

There are some questions, maybe you can help me with this issues...

1. Some ESP32-DevKitC don't need to push the button wile flashing, some needs this push, how can I switch off this "pushing the button while flashing"
2. If I want to build / flash the ESP32, I have to configure the project with "make menuconfig" first, is it possible to avoid this method and configure my settings manually (maybe with a python script)
3. I opened my putty terminal to watch the output, but I always have to quit this terminal when I want to flash the ESP. Otherwise there is an error. Is it possible to let this terminal open and at the same time flashing the ESP32?
4. Is there any finished library where I can write UART-Commands to the ESP32 at the USB interface, is this possible?

Thank you :)

ESP_Angus

Re: Some questions about ESP32...

Postby ESP_Angus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:20 am

AlexESP32 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 pm
1. Some ESP32-DevKitC don't need to push the button wile flashing, some needs this push, how can I switch off this "pushing the button while flashing"
This is usually a hardware problem with the board itself. Are the DevKitC's genuine Espressif ones or cheap ones from other vendors?

You can often improve it by adding a capacitor (approx 100nF) between EN pin and GND on the board. For more info see:
https://github.com/espressif/esptool/wi ... bootloader
AlexESP32 wrote:
2. If I want to build / flash the ESP32, I have to configure the project with "make menuconfig" first, is it possible to avoid this method and configure my settings manually (maybe with a python script)
You only have to "make menuconfig" once, then the configuration is saved in the "sdkconfig" file. This file is just a text file, so you can edit it with a script if you want (just make sure to keep the format valid).
AlexESP32 wrote:
3. I opened my putty terminal to watch the output, but I always have to quit this terminal when I want to flash the ESP. Otherwise there is an error. Is it possible to let this terminal open and at the same time flashing the ESP32?
No, the serial port can only be opened by one program at a time.

You might find the "make flash monitor" command helpful for a flash, then watch output, then re-build and re-flash type of workflow.
AlexESP32 wrote:
4. Is there any finished library where I can write UART-Commands to the ESP32 at the USB interface, is this possible?
Not sure I understand, do you mean something like this: https://github.com/espressif/esp-at ?

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:31 pm

4. maybe this one
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... em/console

2. try this https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... g-defaults
you can create file with default values for your project, then `make defconfig` will do the same what any script would do

AlexESP32

Postby AlexESP32 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank you very much.

So if you want to program the ESP32 & watch the ouptut simultaneously it doesnt work? that would be very complicated...?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 am

As my colleague stated: you may find the command 'make flash monitor' useful for that. It programs the ESP32, then starts a built-in serial terminal (which actually has a bunch of nice features that whatever you would otherwise use may not have, like backtrace decoding).

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 pm

AlexESP32 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 pm
Thank you very much.

So if you want to program the ESP32 & watch the ouptut simultaneously it doesnt work? that would be very complicated...?
Yes. It won't work simultaneously because UART port is common when you are trying to get debug console and at same time you are going to flash firmware into flash memory using UART.

So, Ultimately you can either access debug console or can flash firmware into device itself.

Hope this will clear your doubt for same.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati